The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ahve an 02 Dodge 3500 with an auto tranny. I have some gauges comming exhaust and intake. What is a safe amount of power for the tranny to handle. I plan on upgrading the tranny but dont have the money at this time. Also what are some modules that stack together so when I am ready for more I wont have to get rid of it.:thanks:

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
I would say 350 HP is about the most the stock auto trans will take without complaining to much...

Edge Comp is stackable with a Smarty... With this stack the power level is extremely high now. Edge Comp 5x5 and Level 8 (No timing) Smarty program is enough to spin the clutch on my 5 speed... Which happens to be above 400+ HP at least...

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Who makes the smarty box?

·
Registered
25 Posts
MADS Electronics

·
567 Posts
my experience with them has been about 90hp over stock and witha tc and vb you can get some more, but then you will have to worry about internals slipping.....lets say my 47re had 56k when i bought it and at 80k I had an HTS in.........

·
3,514 Posts
I bought my truck with 80k on the clock, and installed a tranny at 126k, so not that long ago. However, I installed a drag comp and gauges the night I brought the truck home, and within 4 months and 10k I had injectors and a fuel system on as well. So it ended up lasting me pretty well, because it wasn't even completely dead when I switched. However, with all of that said, A friend of mine who's truck doesn't seem to be putting out as much power as me smoked his trans in about 5 months total. It really depend a lot on how you drive it. I'd say with a fueling box on it, with the wire tapped, you will be asking for trouble if you use the power you have.

100hp over, is enough to wear things out. 350RWHP will definitely smoke it.
Sean

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Stock Transmissions are lucky to handle stock Cummins. You'll see TCC's fried before 100,000 in so many cases. Even with proper maintence. Front bands and O/D's will get smoked as well under stock power. With a good T/C and V/B you can almost double the power w/o problems. All the transmissions I've rebuilt or even just put in for someone had some kind of upgraded V/B. I won't mess around with putting another stock tranny behind a Cummins, alot of shops won't. You'll find alot of tranny shops will put some kind of shift kit/improver in the Dodge Cummins and just don't even mention it to the customer as well.

I wouldn't trust even a Edge Mileage Max on a stock automatic even with Edge saying it's OK. Obviously there are alot people out there with modded engines with stock transmissions. But they are just ticking time bombs.

The 47RE is not a curse, I'm not dogging it either. I love it, it makes me money, but that's besides the point. It's a transmission where everything can get replaced with something better. The more you mess around with them, the more you learn to love them.

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I am just better off upgrading the tranny before I do anything then? My truck has 70,000 on it, it probably wouldn't make any sense to put a tc and vb in with out rebuilding it.

·
3,514 Posts
good call, that way you can see what kind of shape the hard parts and guts of the thing are in when you do it. It would suck to have the clutch packs come apart and eat an expensive new converter that you just put in.
Sean

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Good call is right, just like Sean said you could be saving your self cash down the road too because you won't run into the risk of losing some of your hard parts that tend to go down under stock set up vs. modded ex: front drum.

·
TDG Mafia 36
591 Posts
I got lucky, and ran my Edge EZ, and Quadzilla Xzillarader stack for about 20,000 miles, and it was still going when i got rid of the truck 2 months ago, it had a shift kit, and from what I understand, the line pressure turned up.

·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man you guys really know your stuff. Do the hard componants need to be modifed to accept the extra clutches in the clutch packs?

·
93 Posts
bcumminsmeck said:
I got lucky, and ran my Edge EZ, and Quadzilla Xzillarader stack for about 20,000 miles, and it was still going when i got rid of the truck 2 months ago, it had a shift kit, and from what I understand, the line pressure turned up.

what shift kit did you use, and how hard was the shifting?

·
567 Posts
be careful with the transgo kit......if you put in the manual spool valve it can burn up yur tranny..

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
bcumminsmeck said:
have you ever heard of raising the line pressure?

Ya, you can replace the sensor or interface with some wires I have not yet done it though. I'd like to figure out how to do it free. I think I have some files I'll post if I find them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts