The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I hear voices!
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site and just bought an 06' diesel. It seems that SCT x2 is the most popular tuning software and its what I run in my Lightning. I want to know how much power I can expect to pick up on the diesel with just a tune and no other performance mods and still be in the "safe" range? Also I would like to get an exhaust system with a dual exhaust but I want to keep the cat and muffler - Does anyone make a system like this or am I screwed in that area???? :shrug:

·
MAFIA #8
5,567 Posts
you can get about 100rwhp out of an SCT and still be in the safe limits. You will also be able to get an aftermarket exhaust duals and a muffler but you will be able to use the stock cat. Get w/ one of our MANY vendors and they can hook you up.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Our Street, Tow, and Economy programs are all very safe for general use and towing. The Street program will pull up to 10k lbs safely with a turbo back exhaust. Our Xtreme Street is still a safe program, but you won't want to pull heavy loads with it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I used to run Innovative's Street tune - EGTs stay in check. I've returned to stock programming though due to some other issues I encountered. It makes enough power and my comfort level is higher.

Mark

·
I hear voices!
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4x4Mark said:
I used to run Innovative's Street tune - EGTs stay in check. I've returned to stock programming though due to some other issues I encountered. It makes enough power and my comfort level is higher.

Mark

When you say "other issues" does that mean you lifted the heads? And what is the easiest/most popular way to keep the egt's down?

·
Registered
306 Posts
No damage or head issues, just some irratic running issues, occassional codes, and inability to complete an EGR check (P1000). It ran strong, additional power just wasn't worth it to me personally. To keep EGTs in check, you need to monitor and ensure good outflow via exhaust and good inflow via quality intake/filter. With my current config, I can tow at altitude with hills and hit 1200 pretty easy - but it stops right around there. Although many like the torque converter to lock in 4th and 5th gears (better on the tranny), I find that also drives up EGTs. With the standard tune the tranny seems to downshift under load more readily and keep the EGTs in check. My tranny temps have never exceeded 200, so I'm in good shape there.

Mark

·
Registered
306 Posts
ditto

·
I hear voices!
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info mark - after doing a lot of reading here im thinking i may just keep it stock except performance wise for now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts