The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was heading back to the 'yard' to grab a different truck, after we got done placing a fiber optic job. On an old trailer, I had an empty steel reel. About a half mile before exiting HWY99, I hear the sound that the reel is dragging the ground. I hit the brakes to pull over, but then I see the reel passing me on the left. It's going past me at around 45mph, and weighs around 600 pounds. Everyone else on the freeway saw it all, and stayed way back as I chased it down.
It was headed towards the offramp where a ton of cars were stopped. I had to hit it with my bumper to knock it back towards the concrete divider. It took a chunk out of the fender, but it hit the center divide, and stopped. I pull over in front of it, and traffic starts going again.
A weld broke on the trailer, which was built in 1948. The main support for the hydraulic ram that holds the reel up totally fell off the trailer, and I was dragging it down the freeway by the hydraulic hose. All the safety stuff still intact, so I cant get in trouble for it.
What a day!

·
8,265 Posts
Dayum Dale...that could have ended much much worse. Glad to hear that you are all right and nobody got hurt.

·
1,224 Posts
:whs

Got an pics?

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
pic #1, is the ram that broke off the frame.
#2 is the trailer....missing the ram.
#3 is the reel, but on another truck(I had to go get it after dropping off the broken truck & trailer).
And #4 is the chunk taken out of the fender.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After today's safety investigation, the fleet dept will start doing more thorough checks of the trailers. Possibly magnafluxing the welded areas. We even have a trailer that was built in 1936, and was actually used in WWII as a cannon mount.

·
1,224 Posts
After today's safety investigation, the fleet dept will start doing more thorough checks of the trailers. Possibly magnafluxing the welded areas. We even have a trailer that was built in 1936, and was actually used in WWII as a cannon mount.
The 36 trailer probably took more abuse from the cannon firing :roflol:

Heck many farmers would say a 1936 model piece of equipment is just getting broke in.:toytruck personally I like stuff a little newer, like our 1958 Cat 12 Grader:roflol: The motor never been touched.:usflag

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, the '36 trailer just totes around 30-40ft poles, not much of a load. The '48 trailer is still better built than the ones we got in 2000.

·
Another day in paradise
284 Posts
TG you were smart enough to chase it and keep it from hitting those cars. Could have been some of my family. TY

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, there was lots of families driving by after I stopped. I was basically using the truck to guard against the reel from going anywhere but the wall. The rest of the trailets are red tagged until they get a full checkup. We dont need that happening again.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Hi all;
I'm new here but it looks like you did a really good job of protecting the public. It would not have been a pretty picture with a 600lb reel bouncing off of the cars or motorcycles on the ramp below. I am glad to hear that the company is taking action.

Rod

·
274 Posts
i don't know how it works down there, but here a commercial truck or trailer has to be inspected either every 6 months or every 12 depending on which province the unit is based in. among other things the frame and any permanently mounted equipment is checked for cracks.

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They do check, but these welds were hidden under a collar that fits over the hyd ram, out of view.
It's fixed now. Every weld was gone thru by certified welders. The word was put out, and every trailer in the state was grounded until fully inspected.

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nothing like what happened to me, but a whole lot of fixed welds. Our older trailer(from 1936) had 22 new welds added, along with structural reinforcing of the tongue area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts