The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running Schaeffer 15w40 in my truck for the last three oil changes w/o any problems. I don't do any analysis on it. It has always been pretty clean @ 4-5 thousand intervals w/ no problems. Does any one have any thing bad to say about Schaeffer. I'm just looking to see if I'm running the wrong oil:shrug: . I know that there are probably better oils out there. I just haven't changed over yet.

Thanks for any info.

Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts

·
PSD-aholic
Joined
·
65 Posts
Tornsteel said:
I know that there are probably better oils out there. I just haven't changed over yet.

Thanks for any info
IMO, you can't go wrong with Shaeffers (Paraffin base stock), Amsoil or Red Line (Polyol ester base stock). Although you have no UOAs with it, if it's working for you with no problems why change? IMO though, spending $18.00 (or less) on a UOA is the prudent thing to do.
 

·
Dieselis' Maximus
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
A friend of mine owns a Big Rig, thats all he uses is Schaffers They have all kinds of other products too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Tornsteel said:
I have been running Schaeffer 15w40 in my truck for the last three oil changes w/o any problems. I don't do any analysis on it. It has always been pretty clean @ 4-5 thousand intervals w/ no problems. Does any one have any thing bad to say about Schaeffer. I'm just looking to see if I'm running the wrong oil:shrug: . I know that there are probably better oils out there. I just haven't changed over yet.

Thanks for any info.

Sean
Sean:
There is no way to tell how your oil performs w/o an OA. Clean oil means the engine is dirty, dirty oil means its holding the soot in suspension and keeping the engine clean...makes sense so far? OK Better oils is like women.....in the eye of the beholder...I can send you the Krispy Kream donut calender to make the point......LOL .....he-he-he....anywho........Stick w/what yah run but I'd strongly reco the OA its a baseline and trend that will tell you if your injectors are holding up and you'll know if you have coolant in your oil, fuel in the oil and the wear level of internal components. Hey we would never fly our birds w/o one and if a chip detector went off we brought her down fast.

Presently your flying blind, of course so are many thousands of others but hey the PSD techs need a job too right...?LOL

OK bro enjoy your Shaeffers ( that was the oil and not the beer right....?)
C-man....:Thumbup:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the info. I guess that I should pull my head out and start doing the OA. :HappyMugs
 

·
PSD-aholic
Joined
·
65 Posts
Tornsteel said:
Thanks guys for the info. I guess that I should pull my head out and start doing the OA. :HappyMugs
Technically OA is for virgin oil.
UOA (used oil analysis) is what you meant. :Thumbup:
 

·
Junior Member
Joined
·
36 Posts
Ran Schaeffers for many miles on my motors and the UOA testing from Titan Oil has kept me using it. I have always used it in the BTS trans and transfer case. Breaking in new motor with Dino then Synthetic then switched to the 9000 5-40 Full Synthetic and you can hear and feel the difference. This is noticed after 5k miles using another Full Synthetic oil (dealer was out, needed oil). I should have data from UOA on both Synthetics in about a month or 2 max.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
706 Posts
Shaeffers is top quality oil,dont change a thing,keep running it.
 

·
S.L.A.P.S. Sgt. at Arms
Joined
·
440 Posts
I have a buddy that buys Schaeffer's oil by the barrel for his tow business. He told me he would sell me enough at a time to do oil changes in my truck. What should I be paying per quart, and is this good to switch after running 57,000 miles on Shell Rotella-T.

Thanks,
Will-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Ghostrider304 said:
I have a buddy that buys Schaeffer's oil by the barrel for his tow business. He told me he would sell me enough at a time to do oil changes in my truck. What should I be paying per quart, and is this good to switch after running 57,000 miles on Shell Rotella-T.

Thanks,
Will-
You can get it for $13-14 a gallon for the Supreme 9000 with free shipping on a fair size order.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
39 Posts
I plan on switching to Schaeffer's in my psd. Running it in my Cummins for a few years now... Oil analysis is key! Rotella 15-40 in the motor for anything over 5K was pushing it- Switched to Schaeffer's 15-40 and was able to stretch my drain intervals to 10K in the summer and 8K in the winter... more than worth the extra cost for the oil!!!
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
382 Posts
I've been running it in my 6Leaker for quite some time...good stuff!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
We carry Schaeffer oils you can check prices on the website. I buy it buy the drum for the shop and have used it the last 5 years. I also use thier OA and have had it up to 13,000 miles on engines that have 300+k on them, I still change them at about 8-10k.

I service a fleet of Ambulances and they bought a brand new 06 6.0, we changed it to Schaeffers at 1500miles and sent in a a OA, came back extreme silicon so got to lookin and the intake boot was off the turbo from the factory, no OA and it would still be off suckin dirt.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top