The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Haulin' Hay
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!! Take me to school on this Duramax. I've been a ford guy a long time.

My father-in-law just bought an '07 duramax, classic. So is it an LBZ or an LLY?

All I know about it is that its smooth, and fast.

It has 35k miles, and in excellent shape. Comes with a set of new Recon cab lights I will be installing, and an Edge Juice w/ attitude, that's not installed.

What's the story with the Edge on these trucks? He will daily drive it and pull a Bobcat--

Any fuel mileage gains with it?

Oil change intervals? Rotella T 15W-40 ok?

Thanks for the education guys! I look forward to hanging around and learning.

Mac

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts

My father-in-law just bought an '07 duramax, classic. So is it an LBZ or an LLY?

It has 35k miles, and in excellent shape. Comes with a set of new Recon cab lights I will be installing, and an Edge Juice w/ attitude, that's not installed.

What's the story with the Edge on these trucks? He will daily drive it and pull a Bobcat--

Mac
Nice find, its an LBZ. Dont have any experience with the edge units but maybe someone else can chime in. Rotella T 15W-40 will work great, but I suggest the synthetic. Intervals will depend on how the truck is used. Daily driver and pulling a bobcat between 5-7.5K miles should be good. Good luck. Post some pictures when you can.

Reactions: NCfarmboy

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
i had an edge on my dodge, never had a problem with it, im not sure how they would work on the dmax..., my LBZ seems to have as much jam stock as my dodge did with the edge on #5

post some pics up!

·
Crazy Cooter!
169 Posts
my dad runs the edge on 5 most of the time in his lbz and i think its a good safe power adder. i'd run it on tow when towing though. also i run shell 15 40.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Cpl of Mod suggestions..

Congrats on finding an 07 LBZ. You and Father in law will come to love it as much as I love mine...(06 lbz)

cpl of suggestions for mods...nothin crazy but stuff that will help maintain the motor and Tranny in perfect shape.

EGR blocker plate; Why put soot into your motor..?? Block it and if the Edge does not take care of the CEL, you may want to invest in a "fingerstick" - a small module that is inserted into the wiring harness to fool the ecm into thinking the egr is working as designed...some say there is a slight increase in mileage.

Secondary Fuel Filtration: FASS or Nictane or even Stanadyne have great systems and filtration down to 5 micron particulate size. Why..well it is the particles of 5 -12 Micron that do not get picked up by the OEM fuel filter and are the ones that can cause issues with injectors and injector pump. I'm running a Stanadyne FM100 fuel manager w/5 mU filter (2 mU is available as well) The systein my truck is post OEM filter.

Secondary Oil filtration: Its been noted that synthetic is a better solution for lubrication, I agree..but the cost is typically 3 times that.! To make Synthetic pay for itself it is, IMHO, a very good idea to go with what is called a bypass filter system: a line from the motor goes to a cannister with the filter media in it (typically 2 mU)..then goes back to the oil pan. Typically I get between 15 and 18,000 miles on an oil change. Oil analysis will prove time and time again that this type of set up works and works very well. On my truck I use an FS2500. Sits underneath the drivers side rail. The filters run around 25 per...unit ran me about 450 USD (6 something in CAD pesos..!) I believe that Amsoil also has a similar system and there are others out there as well.

Synthetic Trans Fluid: For the allison, best thing you can do is change the red spin on at the same time as you do an oil change..(dont forget to re-install the magnet there.!). If you can do it, switch to Detroit/Allison Recommended - Castrol "Transynd" Synthetic Transmission Fluid. Your tranny will run somewhat cooler and you will likely increase major service times from 25,000 to likely 100,000 miles.! Great stuff.! antoher pretty decent mod is adding a TRansGo Jr Shift kit..beefs up the tranny a bit and can likely handle an extra 80-100hp..anything over that and your lookin at a built unit or at least some serious clutches.

Cheers and warn your Father in law to watch his wallet...Dont ask me how I and so many others happen to know that..LOL :D

cheers,

stk

·
1,052 Posts

Mac
On the oil change with Amsoil oil top two oil you can go 15k with trany 50k go here for info.
Bill

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts

·
5,365 Posts
Please stay on Topic! I will not let this be a bashing thread. Bill provided info. Simple and to the point.
unsolicited as it was ! i dont recall seeing the OP ask what oil type to use...
he simply asked if ROTELLA was GOOD to use !

I seriously doubt he was looking to be SOLD to !

·
Administrator
8,879 Posts
unsolicited as it was ! i dont recall seeing the OP ask what oil type to use...
he simply asked if ROTELLA was GOOD to use !
He actually asked if Rotella was Ok and ended it with a question mark as to suggest he was looking for input on type of oil.

You have been asked time and time again to use the ignore feature on this site, yet you refuse to do so and try to create controversy at every opportunity. It is going to stop right now with this thread. Bill did nothing wrong in this thread and in fact you are the one causing the problem.

Find another hobby other than looking for Bill to post and then report him everytime he does. We have worked out our issue that we had and Bill is doing exactly what he is supposed to do.

This case is closed, it is not open for discussion, we have discussed it enough. Have a problem with it and vacations are going to come free and easy. I think you can tell from the tone we are tired of dealing with this childish issue that adults should not be having.

Now, let the thread continue on in it's normal course. :rantoff :thumbsup

·
Registered
58 Posts
Roger that..!

Most of us come to these forums for information...just as I did back 2 1/2 yrs ago to learn about our diesels..yes opinions are varied as much as perceptions are. But in the end the forums provide an incredibly valuable/ priceless service that none of us could have found for free had they not been out here.

Just try to get some info that is freely offered and at the same time, valuable from your local Stealer...good luck.!

I think that those that moderate these forums do so on their own time, with a higher purpose in mind and it would behoove all of us to simply stay polite, courteous, on topic and keep in mind that there are those that know way more than a lot of us and many that do not..if we can help, we will, if not...then we all should do as my late father in law used to say...."Me..?? I make shutup"..

As an aside: I thank the admins/mods for what they do...sure as hades, I wouldn't have either the time nor patience to do so.!

Cheers, :D

stk

·
3,939 Posts

Mac
Tell him congrats on the buy! AS steakman said, modding these trucks can be very addicting. It is a slippery slope, but a fun-as-hell ride.

BTW, to answer your oil question, I use Rotella 5w40 syn. I change it twice a year at ~7500 mile interval. :)

·
3,939 Posts
I use the rotella 5w40 also, change it every 5k. I'm hard on it most of the time, when I'm not racing it...
Yep....I wont drag race if the oil shows less than 50% life. I'd rather have fresh oil when putting the truck through its paces.

·
49 Posts
I use rotella, works great, I have used it for 30k now. I did have and edge juice, it also worked great. Safe power adder. I got around 2 mile to the gallon better with it. I got 19.5 on a trip to florida and back going between 70-75. The only reason I got rid of the edge was to get something more in depth. I'm sure he will be pleased with the truck. have a good one

·
1,409 Posts
Yep....I wont drag race if the oil shows less than 50% life. I'd rather have fresh oil when putting the truck through its paces.
How can you tell if your oil is at any given % of its life? Do you test it that often? My oil life reminder thingy hasn't come on for years!

·
49 Posts
How can you tell if your oil is at any given % of its life? Do you test it that often? My oil life reminder thingy hasn't come on for years!

There is a sensor that tests the continuity of the oil by sending an electrical signal through it. It might not come on if you change the oil at your own intervals so it always senses the oil is good. As far as knowing if the sensor is bad, you would probably have to go to the dealer to have them check it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts