The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Highway to Hell
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it was 25 deg out this morning when the yard owner called and asked me if I could head over and move both my trucks so they could get to some stuff behing them. My 1977 R model was not happy. cranked it for about a 30 sec and could hear that she was going to need some help. Gave her a wif of either, jumped back in the cab, cranked for another 5 sec and when the either lit I pushed in the throttel stop and she fired off.

Ok 1 down 1 to go.

Went over to my 65' B model, turned the key and clack, clack, clack, Dead batts. It had not been started for months... I put jumper cables from the R over to the B and after 15 mins of charging I went back and tried her again, with no either. she spun for about 5 sec and then fired off no prob.... was sitting there scratching my head how the older dog woke up faster than his younger brother. :usflag

·
990 Posts
One to top that happened to me 2.5 years ago: My 1693 had sat for four straight years without the starter button even being depressed one time. Tanks were topped up with red fuel/home heating oil. I figured the batteries were shot so discarded them without even checking. Bought four new ones and hooked them up with the series parallel switch which I gather was pushing out 24 volts. Jumped up in the cab and held the glow plug heater (or whatever it's called) 'on' for 30 seconds. Then hit the starter and one cylinder fired in five seconds and a second started up in ten more seconds. Within a minute and a half from jumping up in the cab all six cylinders were lit and the engine was shuddering like they do in cold weather.

·
248 Posts
Had a couple days here where it was -20 with the wind chill and my 1693 was the only one of eight trucks in the yard that would start. The other trucks were even plugged in but it didn't seem to matter none would start without some heat underneath of them to warm them up. Had a couple loads to get hauled so I snatched to batteries out of the.pickups and threw them in the old girl and held the preheat for about a minute and it fired right off. It's amazing how easily that thing starts when nothing else wants to. I'm sure grateful it has good glow plugs. We had a couple feed trucks growing up with air starts on them. In the winter we always kept the shop air hooked to them and when it was really could they always started pretty easy compared some of our other trucks. I think its cause they turned over faster. I think some new trucks come with a gear reduction starter to spin them faster also

·
Highway to Hell
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roger. With anything that has a engine, the first time you get them running or started again after years of sitting idle you get that big smile on your face as she starts to take off again. I know the feeling.

the air starts always seamed to fire off faster. the problem was they did not have as much cranking time as electrical. IIRC air start had almost 2x as much cranking power vs electrical.

·
2,555 Posts
it was 25 deg out this morning when the yard owner called and asked me if I could head over and move both my trucks so they could get to some stuff behing them. My 1977 R model was not happy. cranked it for about a 30 sec and could hear that she was going to need some help. Gave her a wif of either, jumped back in the cab, cranked for another 5 sec and when the either lit I pushed in the throttel stop and she fired off.

Ok 1 down 1 to go.

Went over to my 65' B model, turned the key and clack, clack, clack, Dead batts. It had not been started for months... I put jumper cables from the R over to the B and after 15 mins of charging I went back and tried her again, with no either. she spun for about 5 sec and then fired off no prob.... was sitting there scratching my head how the older dog woke up faster than his younger brother. :usflag
The older engine prolly has higher static compression ratio and a lower fuel rate than the younger especially if the R engine was built for the eastern market.
An engine with a manual fuel control can be spun a few revs before adding fuel to pre-warm the cylinders for better fire up. back in the day macks were one of the best starting direct injection engines.

·
Highway to Hell
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep thats exacly how I start mine. I crank for a little bit with the throttel stop out. then I push it in and see if shes ready? if I get nothing I pull it back in and let her crank a little more. With a wif of either I do the same thing but wait for the either to catch and then push in the throttel stop in and most time it fires. most times if its cranking RPM is fast it will catch. I see so many people flood the engine when its cold and it never will start. I admit when I was first starting out I did the same thing but luckly had a old timer show me that trick and Have used it ever sence.. And Yea the B model has a END711 (non turbo) it has higher compression than the R models ENDT676 (turbocharged) so it should fire off better. I was just a little suprised how easy she did.

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
The other day I did start up one truck with old Detorit I know many peoples have hard time to get them lit up in cold weather and I don't have much issue due I keep the fuel shut off lever on to turn over couple turns if spin fast engouh I just kick the fuel valve open and useally take off with very little ether dousage.

and one truck with 3208 engine not start for at least 2 years with dead battery and got that start up with a single 8D battery and one guy was in shocked MDR { LoL } and cuss at me a bit and he say he lost the bet and have to pay moi 100 Euros for the bet.

Merci.
Marc

1 - 7 of 7 Posts