1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Great pictures. One thing I have to say about you King, you're not only an excellent welder & machinist, but a damn good photographer, too!!!:Thumbup:

·
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thansk guys, it was my lucky day all around, we are still enoying the fun we had. so on the way back over that gravel road that is up a hill and down around a corner. i was able to leave my buddy mark in my dust with the FORD DOUBLE DUALLY, his toyota just could not handle the corners and wash board. i was home in the KINGDOM and had the fish frying up by the time he got here. when you got 8V-71 under the hood and a weight box with big tires, there is no such thing as a rough road or a steep hill, LOL i had it bunny hopping a couple of times but just back off and let them tires grap, then make it SCREAM for MERCY. that toyota was bunny hopping all the time even going down a hill, LOL

thansk

·
1,386 Posts
I agree with Wayne that is some very gorgeous country you live in.

·
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thansk

Attachments

·
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thansk, that is why i live up here, it is not the cold, bugs or shopping 300 kms away that i enjoy, it is the view. LOL

thansk

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
King of Obsolete said:
thansk guys, it was my lucky day all around, we are still enoying the fun we had. so on the way back over that gravel road that is up a hill and down around a corner. i was able to leave my buddy mark in my dust with the FORD DOUBLE DUALLY, his toyota just could not handle the corners and wash board. i was home in the KINGDOM and had the fish frying up by the time he got here. when you got 8V-71 under the hood and a weight box with big tires, there is no such thing as a rough road or a steep hill, LOL i had it bunny hopping a couple of times but just back off and let them tires grap, then make it SCREAM for MERCY. that toyota was bunny hopping all the time even going down a hill, LOL

thansk
KoO,

So if you had your choice, would you prefer a different diesel to the 8V-71 in the big Ford?

·
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
duke, i have driven cat and cummins engines but i like the SCREAMING DETROIT, since i'm the KING OF OBSOLETE it is the only engine that would suit me be they are a dieing breed. also i LOVE the sound, if i could have a music in the truck all i would play is AC/DC THUNDERSTRUCK over and over, but since we wear ear plugs, the music is pointless, LOL

thansk

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
King of Obsolete said:
duke, i have driven cat and cummins engines but i like the SCREAMING DETROIT, since i'm the KING OF OBSOLETE it is the only engine that would suit me be they are a dieing breed. also i LOVE the sound, if i could have a music in the truck all i would play is AC/DC THUNDERSTRUCK over and over, but since we wear ear plugs, the music is pointless, LOL

thansk
:musicband :musicband :rocker

LOL LOL LOL

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
King of Obsolete said:

thansk
I like your style KoO:usflag

When im pulling a grade in the straight stacked Mack, I rock out to AC/DC, "long way to the top" or "Jail break" Windows down to hear the sweet sounds of a hard working diesel and sweet sound of good Rock 'N Roll:Thumbup:

·
Fire App. Mech.
982 Posts
Lmackattack said:
I like your style KoO:usflag

When im pulling a grade in the straight stacked Mack, I rock out to AC/DC, "long way to the top" or "Jail break" Windows down to hear the sweet sounds of a hard working diesel and sweet sound of good Rock 'N Roll:Thumbup:
Not me, none of my trucks have a radio anyway but they are all loud enough to make your ears ring anyhow and I am always too busy listening for a rod to start knocking like it wants out, to add any more noise to my head.

Birken

·
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it is kind of funny, i can drive that SCREAMING FORD 20 hours straight on a haul to the south (don't ask about a log book or those other rules, nothing is illegal until you get caught, LOL) no music just the sound of the detroit ROCKING, but when you get unloaded and get to the hotel room, you lay in bed vibrating for about an hour to unwind, LOL that is why i stay in a hotel that has beverage, 3 good shots and night night for me. i have to give the fellows that drove these trucks for a living credit becaus ethey are like the cat skinners that drove the cat trains, they are a dieing breed. my hats off to these men that worked so hard for so little.

thansk

·
Fire App. Mech.
982 Posts
You got that right, I once rode from here to San Diego thru the middle of the night in a 6v92 cabover, running flat against the governor the whole way, which is like driving across at least 3 normal Western states, maybe 5 or 10 Eastern states, I never knew until then that it was possible to sleep with noise so loud that your ears ring, but I did it, sometimes I had to spell the driver because he would do it too, driving on the rumble strip and waking me up.

Birken

·
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thansk

the engines are classics and should be in museums.

thansk

·
0 Posts
King of Obsolete said:

Now there is something you dont see everyday....a semi at the boat dock unloading. LOL LOL

King...awesome pictures and awesome storytelling. :Thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
I agree, these older trucks are great for local use but I honestly cant see myself driving OTR everyday in my old dog the was she is currently set up. 65MPH balls to the wall. no air ride cab, no power steering. I can only imagine what it was like back then when the original owner used it OTR with the now missing 36" sleeper. I think I have been spoiled with the big HP IH company truck I drive, roomy cab, nice sleepers that make $40 hotel rooms look like card board boxes LOL, air ride everthing, powere windows and mirrors etc....

I have had a taste of hard trucking life. I once spent 4 days on the road in a day cab R model mack with a co driver. 300 with a 9 spd, camelback rears, air ride cab with the standard Mack jump seat.(not air seat) we went from Chicago to Boston with at load of mail. Got a hotel for 5 hrs in Boston then went to Long Island slept in the truck (drivers seat) woke up in the a.m. picked up some truck parts and headed back to the windy. Towards the end of the trip when my friend was driving, I finnaly was able to sleep with my head on the door window when bouncing down the highway.

Fun story but I would not want to do that everyday
I do think those old truckers had it 10x worse than I will ever see.

·
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
also back then the drivers didn't have unlimited fuel cards, credit cards and when the truck broke down you sat for days. so the drivers had it very very hard back then.

thansk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts