The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reprogrammed my truck back to a stock tune so I could tow my fifth wheel last week. I tried to put the tune back in and it hangs up on the "Reading Strategy" screen. I waited for more than 10 minutes for something to happen and finally shut the ignition off. I tried it again with the same result.

Has anyone else had this issue? What do you do to correct it.

·
1,324 Posts
I'd call SCT mine loads fine but I rarely change it. Run tow almost all the time.

Reactions: harry6.0

·
3,051 Posts
http://www.sctflash.com/tsupdates.php

Click on the link above and contact SCT for tech suppoprt. Be careful if your having an issue loading the tuning, don't proceed any further until you have contacted SCT.

The tuner can have a software issue or can load a corrupted tune and the truck won't run. Has happened twice to me in the distant past.

Leave it stock until your interacting with SCT tech support and they instruct you on what to do.

Harry

Reactions: Weld engineer

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Try putting a battery charger on the truck to bring the voltage up. If you have a weak cell in either battery and the voltage drops, some of the SCT SF3/X3 devices will not program back to stock, even though they will flash the performance programs.

And the first thing SCT will tell you is to update the firmware of the device.

Sent by my right thumb!

Reactions: harry6.0

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried updating the software on the tuner and it wouldn't load the drivers, so I contacted SCT Tech Support last night. He walked me through the process of manually updating the firmware in the device and then updating the software for the tunes. I still haven't tried retuning the truck. I'll probably try it this weekend. I'm thinking of keeping the towing tune in it.

I was a little nervous about running an aftermarket tune because I just spent 8000 getting the top end redone after blowing a head gasket. I've decided to go ahead and try it for a short trip and see how it does. I'm taking my RV out for a 60 mile run the day after Christmas. It's a flat stretch along the Florida coast, so it shouldn't put too much strain on things.

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
If you have head studs, you will probably be good. Holding down the heads is what causes the head gaskets to go south. I have never run a tuner in my truck and I won't unless I do the studs.

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had ARP head studs installed last month when they replaced the gaskets. I was running a Hypermax ECON tuner and towing a 7 ton RV through the Smokies when the head gasket blew. I have been pulling the same trailer for over 20,000 miles with that tuner and thought I was safe. I got great mileage and had plenty of power right up until the head gasket blew. If I had known then what I know now, I would have gone back to a stock tune before I towed. Live and learn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts