The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Keener 6-0
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used it on a toy hauling camper that GVWR might have been 8000lbs and worked great.
I just bought a 5th wheel toyhauler with GVWR 15000 lbs.
Should I tow on this tune and enjoy the benefits or tow this thing stock?
06' PSD
Super Crew Long Bed
SRW
AFE Intake
4" turbo-back exhaust
Edge digital monitors (only)
Rotella........Going to Amsoil
B&W turn over goose with Companion 5th whees hitch

·
3,051 Posts
At that weight I would probably tow stock or maybe a very mild tow tune. Without headstuds and the egr cooler still getting exhaust, your risk of a malfunction greatly increases with the heavier tow load and any added tuning. Whenever I tow hay for restocking the barn, its usually about a 13k load including the trailer, I always go with stock programing, especially if there are hills to pull. Harry

·
26 Posts
Before I got the EGT I used the Spartan Heavy Tow. Was afraid to use other tow tunes without the EGT. I have an over the CAT scale wt of 19,869 lbs and I was planning on trying some of the other tow Spartan Tow Tunes. Really would depend on how much hill pulling you will be doing.

·
3,051 Posts
Before I got the EGT I used the Spartan Heavy Tow. Was afraid to use other tow tunes without the EGT. I have an over the CAT scale wt of 19,869 lbs and I was planning on trying some of the other tow Spartan Tow Tunes. Really would depend on how much hill pulling you will be doing.
Curious, what kind of egt's are you experiencing with that load? I assume the truck is mostly stock as far as exhaust system and all. And man, thats some great low mileage on your truck, its still almost new. Harry

·
26 Posts
Curious, what kind of egt's are you experiencing with that load? I assume the truck is mostly stock as far as exhaust system and all. And man, thats some great low mileage on your truck, its still almost new. Harry
Last time I towed I did not have the EGT hooked up. I might be towing it next weekend and I will give a full report. I will try some different tunes and keep an eye on the EGT's.

·
118 Posts
When I tow I use Erics tow tune.
I have come out of the rock quarry with a GCVW of 23,000 lbs and the truck runs great.
The EGT's stay about 1100* in 90 deg heat on our small CT hills.

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
I've used it on a toy hauling camper that GVWR might have been 8000lbs and worked great.
I just bought a 5th wheel toyhauler with GVWR 15000 lbs.
Should I tow on this tune and enjoy the benefits or tow this thing stock?
06' PSD
Super Crew Long Bed
SRW
AFE Intake
4" turbo-back exhaust
Edge digital monitors (only)
Rotella........Going to Amsoil
B&W turn over goose with Companion 5th whees hitch
If you don't have headstuds, with that kind of a load, I recommend you tow stock.. I didn't and learned that expensive lesson the hard way.....

·
26 Posts
I got my CTS back and have been running a Power Hungry Performance 80hp daily driver that has some good power and still easy around town. Was out on the interstate, got behind some slow traffic, dropped down to about 50 mph. Got room to pass and it was going up a long step grade. WOT watched the EGT and it just went over 1100 degrees, As soon as I let up it dropped back in the 600's very quickly. It was about 95 outside, full sun on a just resurfaced black stretch of road. The canned tune that came with the EVO would go over 1400 very quickly when you go to WOT and stay up in the 800's afterward. I keep watching the EGT and noticed that this tune had a lot cooler temps than the other program. I have a towing program from Bill also and will give you an update next time I get to tow.

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
If you don't have headstuds, with that kind of a load, I recommend you tow stock.. I didn't and learned that expensive lesson the hard way.....
I did the same thing. Was towing with the heavy tow tune form Spartan and going up some very steep grades and hair pin turns and popped my passenger side HG. Until you get studs I would stay away from anything but stock when towing heavy trailers. Just talking from experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts