The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wonfering if a dealer can detect a detuned truck. Like say return to stock and run it for a few days. I have 35K on my warranty yet and they have some adjustments to make on the MAF calibration. I had an SCT towing tune in it for a day or so. What was your guys luck?

·
497 Posts
:Thumbup: I was wondering the same question!!

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
From what I have been told the SCT is the hardest to detect. They have to "dig deep" to find it, but it can be found. Don't quote me on this though, I'm not 100% certain.

·
Wolverine Vendor
632 Posts
Any dealer that has a competent technician that hooks up the IDS can tell that you had a programmer by reading the PCM. That will show a corrupt file, which is the strategy file. It is the only way to tell.

This tech had to find out how to do it themselves cause Ford does not train you on how to look for it.

DJ :evil:

·
Thread Hijack Guru!
465 Posts
I have heard that the tech can make an educated guess that a tuner had been installed then uninstalled based on a bunch of variables. That is what I have heard from tech's on other forums.

·
963 Posts
:iagree

What they said.

If the Tech wants to nail you, he can, no matter whether it is a plugin module like the Edge, or a programmer like the SCT XCal2.

The sensors record Highs and lows, and the stock programming will never demand the Boost or Injector durations that any of the aftermarket will. The readings are not cleared when you flash back to stock.

Like DJ said, most Tech don't know where to go look, hell I had to show my Tech how to make the tire size change on my truck using the IDS/WDS.

Hope that helps. Bottom line is, if you play, you might have to pay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What if you disconnect the batteries? I know they can tell you did a disconnect but wouldnt that wipe out any traces of a tuner?

I have been having a battle with a door sensor that the dealer cant find, so sometimes the door ajar light comes on and wont go off......ie I have to disconnect sometimes at night or the interior lights stay on.........so I guess when I get a tuner I can use that excuse..........HEHEHE.

FiveseveN

·
963 Posts
Disconnecting your battery does not clear the max/mins stored in the sensor data.

·
1,581 Posts
LokiWolf said:
Disconnecting your battery does not clear the max/mins stored in the sensor data.

How long does the data stay in the PCM? Is it reset after X number of key cycles? or miles?

·
963 Posts
I believe the MAX/Min values stay in the PCM until the Ford IDS/WDS computer clears them.

Since going back to stock you will never hit the max that you would have while tuned it won't overwrite them.

Hopefully some of the other guys like TADD or DJ will clarify. Doug was the one that originally told me the above info, and he would know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts