The Diesel Garage banner

SCT or EDGE?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Fast-6.0 
#1 ·
I use SCT in my stang and love it! my tuner though really likes his edge in his duramax and said I should go that route. is it really worth $1k???

#3 ·
the edge works prety good on the d-max, i personally would run nothing but the SCT, i run it in my race truck and my daily driver
robert

#4 ·
dieseldonkey said:
if you want your warranty to be valid, get something that is untraceable once they hook up a scanning tool to it.
WRONG!!! the only way a dealer can void any warrenty is IF they can PROVE without a shadow of a doubt that that aftermarket product cause the issue being repaired. and every edge product comes with a copy of this act in the box. edge is nice because it comes with the guages with it and protection devices BUT the sct will most likely make more power and the files are a little more tailered to the vehical. but analog guages should be added.. all and all its around the same cost if u ask me and the edge has the ability to shift on the fly and the sct takes a few minutes to change

#6 ·
moose99ps said:
WRONG!!! the only way a dealer can void any warrenty is IF they can PROVE without a shadow of a doubt that that aftermarket product cause the issue being repaired. and every edge product comes with a copy of this act in the box. edge is nice because it comes with the guages with it and protection devices BUT the sct will most likely make more power and the files are a little more tailered to the vehical. but analog guages should be added.. all and all its around the same cost if u ask me and the edge has the ability to shift on the fly and the sct takes a few minutes to change
No he's not wrong. They can void it on the spot if they want to. Its then up to you to hire an attorney and go after them to re-instate your warrantee claim. Happens all the times.

#7 ·
moose99ps said:
RIGHT!!!! check your facts next time with a local dealer, or just go buy a new one and put a tuner on and see what they say since you are so sure. :bow:

Ford has changed their stance because of the early 03 and 04's having many faulty issues with them. Just check out the LA Times, SEMA, and many other articles and publications such as diesel power that have mentioned this problem, oh yeah and the technical bulletin board if you have access to the dealer network.

In majority of the dealerships, especiall the ones that push a lot of diesels you will find a corporate exec there each week going over warranty claims all the time, this has to do with head gasket and turbo issues or anything else they can blame the tuner to get out of paying the claim, and thats just the start. If any trace of a tuner is there the warranty is voided.

Now don't get me wrong, they do treat customers a little different if you are loyal and purchased trucks from that dealership but you have to be really loyal and they usually do something for the customer.

#9 ·
Before hiding behind the Magnusom-Moss Act, be sure of what you are using... Have you ever actually read it?? And I don't mean the garbage put out by the aftermarket manufacturers, I mean the actual federal law.....

Nothing in there even discusses aftermarket power adding devices... That act is designed to prevent the factory from requiring you to use their products to maintain your vehicle. The act states that if the aftermarket part meets OEM specs, the manufacturer cannot void your warranty for its use. This basically applies to such things as oil, filters, coolant, spark plugs (on a gasser of course!) and other similar parts that will wear out over time...... There is not one single aftermarket power adder, regardless of brand, that meets OEM specs. If there was, we wouldn't be calling it a power adder, since it would not add any power..... As such, the use of them is not covered under the M-M Act, regardless of what your favorite retailer says....... Furthermore, the act specifically says that a manufacturer is not required to honor the warranty if you use non approved parts as long as they tell you upfront (which Ford clearly does in the owners manual).

#10 ·
BADASS03SVT said:
I use SCT in my stang and love it! my tuner though really likes his edge in his duramax and said I should go that route. is it really worth $1k???
As a previous Edge user that is now an SCT user, I suggest going the SCT route. It will cost about the same in the long run if you do it right and buy some gauges to keep an eye on the important things. I.E. - EGT, Tranny Temp, Water Temp.
I liked the Edge because of the ability to change power on the fly. I liked the turbo timer feature as well.
But, I've gotten into drag racing and the SCT with tunes by Eric at Innovative is way faster than the Edge was. I don't have time slips that prove it yet, but I will next Saturday and plan on posting my times to show. I also like how the tranny shifts much more with the SCT. With the race file I'm running, the torque converter is locked once it hits second and stays that way. Much better power when accelerating!! It really pins you back in the seat.

#11 ·
teamroper60 said:
Before hiding behind the Magnusom-Moss Act, be sure of what you are using... Have you ever actually read it?? And I don't mean the garbage put out by the aftermarket manufacturers, I mean the actual federal law.....

Nothing in there even discusses aftermarket power adding devices... That act is designed to prevent the factory from requiring you to use their products to maintain your vehicle. The act states that if the aftermarket part meets OEM specs, the manufacturer cannot void your warranty for its use. This basically applies to such things as oil, filters, coolant, spark plugs (on a gasser of course!) and other similar parts that will wear out over time...... There is not one single aftermarket power adder, regardless of brand, that meets OEM specs. If there was, we wouldn't be calling it a power adder, since it would not add any power..... As such, the use of them is not covered under the M-M Act, regardless of what your favorite retailer says....... Furthermore, the act specifically says that a manufacturer is not required to honor the warranty if you use non approved parts as long as they tell you upfront (which Ford clearly does in the owners manual).
This guy hit the nail on the head. It clearly states they're talking about fuel filters, oil, screws, lubes etc.... Not power adding modifications.

Either way you will personally have to pay for the repair yourself after they deny your warranty and then go after them in court to regain your money which will be offset by the attorney fee's which you most likely will not get back in the settlement thanks to Fords all star team of lawyers on retainer. Bottom line, deny deny deny. And if it comes down to a major warranty claim, you have nothing else to do but own up to it. Have fun but be careful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.