The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the SCT from dfuser, got the strategy which was VXCF4NK, and got my custom tunes. I was told the strategy wasn't a very good one. So, I removed the SCT and took it to the dealer and got the latest (so they said) which is now VXCF9N4. I was told the SCT should still work fine.

Re-loaded the SCT and power was better. But, when switching from a custom tune to a strategy tune, it threw an error code "incorrect vehicle". Then the truck would not spin over. Turn the key on, and the lights came on, and the glow plug light would not go out. Turned the key to start....nothing. Used the SCT to read the strategy, and it said, "no strategy found".

Had it towed to the dealer, and they say the PCM took a dump. They ordered one to be here Monday.

Now for my questions....Did I need to return to stock when switching from custom to strategy tunes? Did the SCT cause the PCM to quit? Is my SCT locked up now?

Thanks in advance....

·
TDG MAFIA
1,270 Posts
I have not seen this before. i have never had a issue swithing tunes

·
2,821 Posts
I agree. I have never had an issue. Did your Tuner advise you to unlock your XCal? I know that the older units needed to be done manually. Maybe you didn't need to unlock it as they were close? Chris

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
I had an issue this last summer switching from a custom tune to a canned tune. Same problem as you. The truck wouldn't even turn over. I then returned to staock and all was fine. So I don't know why but the SCT might not like going form custom to canned.

·
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought the SCT from dfuser, got the strategy which was VXCF4NK, and got my custom tunes. I was told the strategy wasn't a very good one. So, I removed the SCT and took it to the dealer and got the latest (so they said) which is now VXCF9N4. I was told the SCT should still work fine.

Re-loaded the SCT and power was better. But, when switching from a custom tune to a strategy tune, it threw an error code "incorrect vehicle". Then the truck would not spin over. Turn the key on, and the lights came on, and the glow plug light would not go out. Turned the key to start....nothing. Used the SCT to read the strategy, and it said, "no strategy found".

Had it towed to the dealer, and they say the PCM took a dump. They ordered one to be here Monday.

Now for my questions....Did I need to return to stock when switching from custom to strategy tunes? Did the SCT cause the PCM to quit? Is my SCT locked up now?

Thanks in advance....

Ok, I just got my truck back. The service writer said my PCM, ECM, and FICM were wiped completely clean. They were able to re-flash the FICM and ECM. They had to replace the PCM. I'm pretty good friends with the Tech...he knew I had a tuner. Told me not to worry about it.....said I owed him BIG TIME!!!

Anyway, my question is this. My original flash was VXCF4NK. They reflashed last week, and they used VXCF9N4. Now after the FICM was erased, they used VXCF9DA. Is this the latest flash? I have not drove it yet to see if the power is up or down.

Will I have to send for new tunes? The custom tunes were for the VXCF4NK. I'm almost scared to try to re-load my SCT custom tunes. Any help is needed!

·
2,821 Posts
Check with your Tuner to see if you should use the old Tunes or get updated Tunes. Chris

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
This issue happens if the strategy of the custom tune is different than the strategy saved on the device(stock). You need your strategy to be the same if you are switching from Custom to Pre-Programmed tunes.

A way around this is to return to your stock tune first, before swapping between custom and pre-programmed. The proper way is to always have your custom tuning dealer build a custom tune for your stock strategy.

This is only an issue for the old X3's, since the new one's only allow either custom or pre-programmed and not both. It can happen on the Livewire, since they allow for both pre-programmed and custom.

·
239 Posts
This happened to me last Friday. Newer tuner from Bill @ Dfuser, incorrect vehicle and no start. I called SCT and Sean built me a stock file to get the truck running. I have heard rumors some of these were doing this. I was returning my truck back to stock from a custom file when it took a dump. Now my SCT is back in the truck but my check engine light is back on because of the EGR delete. it's 0403, 0405 egr voltage low. I don't know if Bill forgot to add the EGR delete into this one because I just installed my delete the night before this happened. I have installed a pile of deletes and studs using SCT on customer's truck's with no issues. I figured my luck was running out. Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts