The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody ever loaded a tune and had a rough idle in the morning with the weather decent (45-55 degrees).
when i had my banks stuff on, it would rough idle when cold and not been plugged up and blow some white smoke. stock it would too, but not as much. i tried out a street tune from ID off a friend and not hardly any cold start issues at all even with 30 degree weather. i ordered some tunes from ID tow, agg. street, and xrace. 1st day i had agg street loaded in the morning when i went to start it the temp was like 52. idled hard up and down and chugging out black smoke! same happened with tow (on separate days/occasions) however the xrace hasnt even done it........anybody have experience with that? i have to hold rpms at around 1000 and its fine after about a minute or 2. :smoke :pointlaugh

·
TDG Mafia Member #64!
885 Posts
6L strokin said:
anybody ever loaded a tune and had a rough idle in the morning with the weather decent (45-55 degrees).
when i had my banks stuff on, it would rough idle when cold and not been plugged up and blow some white smoke. stock it would too, but not as much. i tried out a street tune from ID off a friend and not hardly any cold start issues at all even with 30 degree weather. i ordered some tunes from ID tow, agg. street, and xrace. 1st day i had agg street loaded in the morning when i went to start it the temp was like 52. idled hard up and down and chugging out black smoke! same happened with tow (on separate days/occasions) however the xrace hasnt even done it........anybody have experience with that? i have to hold rpms at around 1000 and its fine after about a minute or 2. :smoke :pointlaugh
dads 05 does that with the Looney Tune:popcorn: haha u should see and hear it start with below0 degree weather:smoke

·
keepin faith in the 6.0L!
96 Posts
Hey Strokin, Im having that exact same problem with my street file. Really rough idle on start up and lots of smoke. ID sent me a new tune today and it has been working good so far.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you know what he changed? i have had a plain street file and it never did that. then he sent me some new agg. street, tow, and xrace. the agg street and tow have done it, but not the race.....:shrug:

·
keepin faith in the 6.0L!
96 Posts
I am on my 3rd street file he has sent, the first one did it really bad, the second not so bad and the newest one from today has been fine so far. I don't know what he is changing each time but I hope I'm good to go now. Eric's customer service has been OUTSTANDING since day one.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya, hes a hard man to het ahold of sometimes tho. any change in perf. too? or just the startup issue?

·
963 Posts
Guys, He is decreasing the amount of fuel that the PCM is feeding the engine while it is cold at lower Throttle positions. It called the "Cold Start fix". I believe it does decrease the power of the tune a slight bit, because it is decreasing fuel delivery. I deal with it...I just drive real easy for the first few miles when the truck is cold. It should be true on any hi-power tune. Hopefully Eric will come along and give more explanation.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, see i knew there were cold fix tunes,....but i was thinking they were for rough idle, white smoke........this is more of hard up and down idle, black smoke. and doing it at like 52 degrees. so shouldnt be a cold start issue. AND it only did it on tow and agg. street.....never has on street or xrace!

·
963 Posts
Yeah...Quick up and down/jumpy throttle, and black smoke, means to much fuel too soon. I realize 52, isn't cold in comparison to 32 or 2, but when compared to operating cylinder temps it is cold.

My first tune from Doug, right after I got my SCT had the same problem, he sent me another, where he defueled it a little at lower throttle positions, and presto, it was much easier to drive when "cold". This is coming from my experience solely...talk to Eric, and I am sure he can send you some adjusted files that take care of the problem.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh, ok, i always had white smoke before on cold start issues and they were more at 30 degrees.......didnt know black smoke could mean the same thing. wonder why it never doesnt it on my race file tho if too much fuel is the reason...?

·
963 Posts
Its not too much fuel period, its just too much at low throttle positions...

Black smoke means means more fuel than the engine can burn under any situation.

Like I said, it is obviously a difference in how the tunes were written, he just needs to do a little tweaking on the tunes and you'll be good to go. That is why the SCT XCal is so great, is because it allows these type of adjustments...no one program fits all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts