The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Has anyone experienced shifting problems with their SCT livewire? Mine seems to almost get confused sometimes, and once in awhile will bang into gear when downshifting going up a hill. I know this isn't right, was wondering if there is a way to fix it with an updated version or send it back. Also at WOT it seems to race up quite a bit before it shifts, like its not sure whether to shift or not. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank You- Joe

·
Speed Junkie
193 Posts
Although rare, my truck would do that from time to time when running the canned Sct tunes. But since I swapped to Eric's custom tunes from Innovative Diesel, I couldn't be happier. Awesome power, shifting, and improved mileage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ya when i put first hooked up my sct it shifted so bad! i few times it shifted so hard i thought the tranny was gonna blow. then the stop engine light would come on engine would die and id have to wait a few minutes for it to start. and then some times when shifting it would rev between gears for a bit before slamming in. had to take it out til rcds showed up.

shifts way better now, but sounds like people are liking the innovatives shifting better during normal driving. im gonna order them and see how they compare.

·
Speed Junkie
193 Posts
ya when i put first hooked up my sct it shifted so bad! i few times it shifted so hard i thought the tranny was gonna blow. then the stop engine light would come on engine would die and id have to wait a few minutes for it to start. and then some times when shifting it would rev between gears for a bit before slamming in. had to take it out til rcds showed up.

shifts way better now, but sounds like people are liking the innovatives shifting better during normal driving. im gonna order them and see how they compare.
I'll be very interested to hear your comparison review. Once you give the Innovative tunes a few miles to learn the shifting patterns for the additional power, I can't imagine any shifting to be better.

·
37 Posts
Well i am running the SCT tow tune without any issue now. I was having some problems and thought it was the tune so i got the tune from Eric at innovative and it was worse!

The original problem turned out to be that the tuner needed an update, i worked with SCT to get this resolved then i tried the innovative tune again a week later and it made my truck run like crap again! When i contacted eric i was sort of told in a round about way that the issue must still be with my tuner. However if that were true why would it be running fine for the last few months on the SCT tow tune.

Maybe he is creating capable tunes, but my experience was not a posistive one. Going forward i would call SCT first if you are having issues, they did rectify my original problem.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
If it's shifting bad(catching between gears or slipping) with the base SCT tunes, in most cases it's selonoid issue. A custom tune can help, if it's a minor issue throwing the shift timing slightly off due to the additonal power and quicker rpms. However, in some cases, it's beyond what a tune alone can fix. There may be ways around it with some tweaking, but the best solution is to fix the issue.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
is the 3-5 shift weak like in the 6.0 trannies on 6.4s? if so same suncoast solenoid do the trick?

·
52 Posts
If it's shifting bad(catching between gears or slipping) with the base SCT tunes, in most cases it's selonoid issue. A custom tune can help, if it's a minor issue throwing the shift timing slightly off due to the additonal power and quicker rpms. However, in some cases, it's beyond what a tune alone can fix. There may be ways around it with some tweaking, but the best solution is to fix the issue.
Not trying to hi-jack, but here goes.....I was running Xtreme street for about a month or so with no problems, loved it, suddenly the other day, my idle went "strange", exhaust note got really low, didn't sound right, and noticed my trans was acting funny, flared a few shifts, banged alot but mostly couldn't make up its mind where it wanted to be........temps, pressures, boost all looked good during this, but it definitely was wrong!!! Yesterday morning I returned my truck back to stock and haven't experienced any wrong issues...other than the lack of that sweet power you gave me for a while....any help?????

Whoops, sorry guys, just realized this is in the 6.4 tuner forum...i'll send Eric another message...couldn't figure out how to delete this message

1 - 11 of 11 Posts