The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, currently ive been running a banks power setup. well, the shifts werent very great so i decided to get an sct just to use for the trans shifting. well then i figured, thats a lot of money Just to get the trans, so i thought...well maybe ill sell the banks stuff and just use the sct and have a little cash back in my pocket!

well, heres the problem, ive tried out 2 different companies files so far, and i dont think either is working properly. first one the turbo would kinda go crazy on me, and the other the trans isnt shifting right and also think maybe some turbo problems..?

could anybody tell me exactly how their sct works on their trucks such as how the turbo acts, trans shifts, smoke, etc. so i can see if its right, the truck just needs to adjust to it, if it just needs to be tweaked more somewhere or what?

Also, i have the ford flash that eliminates the EBP, so i dont know if this is part of the problem? And, when testing using the sct only for power, i still have the banks hooked up, but its in setting 1 which is supposed to behave like stock so i can use the gauges still....is there any way the banks could still be interfering? if so i can unhook it and try that too, just a PITA to reinstall cuz you gotta go through all the levels at WOT, etc.

Thanks very much for any input!
Darin

BTW....when im using the banks for power and the sct for the tranny shifting only, everything seems to work fine!

·
6,337 Posts
I would unhook all the banks stuff, even on stock setting it is running thru the Banks computer which will give some very strange readings... Have you talked to your tuners about this?

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not in depth, but i asked a banks tech told me before i even bought the sct that on setting one, everything should read stock and be able to use it just for the gauges, and figured all should be good. and i did tell him what my plans were on the stacking, and/or using the sct for racing with banks on level 1. thats why i was wondering if anybody else had this experience, cuz like i said, PITA to reinstall banks on a 6L but if thatll fix it i can do it...have to get other gauges though cuz they all go through it for now! but i still may try to unhook the banks and see jw if anybody had feedback.

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
It should work fine. There is a guy running around here that has a Banks six-gun stacked with a superchips programmer and the two work fine together (although I would never do it). You might want to return the truck back to stock and make sure you dont have any other problems. It could be that the trans just hasnt adapted also.

P.S. If I were you I would just get full blown SCT programs and S*** can that Banks...JMO.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well ya, like i said, that is what i am wanting to do...but i want to make sure the SCT Works first. plan is to sell the banks, just use the sct and buy gauges...but its not just the trans...the turbo isnt working right and it flutters a lot more than normal even when being easy on it.

Banks only - works fine, just doesnt shift well in higher levels WOT
Banks with trans only files - works good, shifts good
SCT only w/banks on 1 - trans isnt great and turbo goes crazy..almost seems like its making more power than its supposed to.

btw, all i have tried sct wise so far is higher performance files....could that have anything to do with anything? i think ive driven them long enough for the tranny to get used to it though.

·
Obviously Intuitive !
1,417 Posts
I PROMISE you the sct works fine... :) and there is no learning curve with the tranny - it is a PROGRAM that takes these inputs and gives those outputs.... the outputs only change when the inputs do.... for you old cobol programmers - doubt the tranny has a "go to depending on" varible logic flow :)

I am amazed that banks MAY have given you mis-information !!! :)

certainly the knowledgeable phone person knows everything about their product and would be happy to have you disconnect it :)

Now, depending on who you got your programs from they may have programmed it for a particular pcm code and flash, but the banks stuff is mis-interpreting the signals...

I too say get that stuff off of there, return the sct to stock, disconnect the batteries for 30 minutes, then re-read your strategy and bet it comes up with something different than it did with the banks stuff on...

·
Diesel Pro
2,652 Posts
Yep^^ Try that

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gotta leave the batts unhooked too? i just got done taking off all the banks stuff, but didnt know i needed to do that too....btw, the strategy was the same after i unhooked the banks, but like i said, havent left the batts unhooked yet.

·
Diesel Pro
2,652 Posts
yeah sometimes it will reset everything if you unhook the power...

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
really need to be done for 1/2 hour or just unhook both and rehook?

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
Don't know if this is relevant here or not, since I don't have an SCT, but my Evolution requires that any other aftermarket module/tuner be disconnected and the wiring returned to stock prior to flashing the PCM.... Perhaps that is the case here too.........................

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well right now im still running stock, going to hook up a simple street file today and see if its better. so far i have just tried to run the high hp files so i may just the lesser one today and see if it works first. Thanks!

·
Obviously Intuitive !
1,417 Posts
unhooking the batts and turning on the lites just insures you are "starting afresh" :)

Suggest you call your tuner and hope it is with someone with some experience.

And not saying anything about anything, but how do you KNOW that your truck wasn't having issues before the SCT ???

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
which issues ya talking about? when i ran stock before the banks, it ran fine. and with the banks off and just sct it runs better...still needs tweaking though.

·
Registered
199 Posts
At least 1/2 hour. To be safe, do it before you go to bed and reconnect in the morning. You'll just have to reprogram your clock and radio.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i didnt every unhook the batts, and havent had any problems....just need to tweak a little on the programming of the sct tunes. Thanks for all yalls help though! .....banks six gun for sale!! haha

·
Registered
91 Posts
just another thought you might look at is make sure the firmeware on the programmer is up to date. Made a huge diffrence on the shifting for me, and the power was a little smoother.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how do you check/update the firmware?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts