The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just driving around a sharp turn at moderate speed and the "reduced power" and wrench icon lit up on me. WTF?
I pulled over a few miles up the road, shut it off and restarted and the wrench icon went out.
Anyone have this happen?

·
606 Posts
Can you scan for a code? If not I would take it to a dealer. Preferably the one you just bought it from.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you scan for a code? If not I would take it to a dealer. Preferably the one you just bought it from.
I bought it used from a dealer 600 mi away, so that's impossible.
I assume everything has returned to normal and the code stays stored.
I thought I read someone else here had a similar problem where they'd go around a sharp curve and set a code. What a PITA that's got to be.

·
606 Posts
Might be worth buying a code reader. Sometimes it makes for peace of mind.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OK went to dealer today. Code thrown was for low coolant level/pressure if I remember correctly.
Bottom line is, I have a thermostat problem. Dealer will replace t-stat. They also suggest replacing upper rad hose for $35. They said it is a problem area that has been updated, but that part is out of warranty.
Shortly after I left the truck at dealer, i got the dreaded call. Low pressure fuel pump took a dump. $469.
Spoke candidly with mechanics and they hate the 6.4L. They were polite about it, but basically said it was as bad if not worse than the 6L. They suggested to get ready for costly repairs out of warranty and to look into extended warranty. Cost to extend warranty a mere $4,500 if I use it to plow, a bargain at $3,800 if I don't plow.
I think I'm gonna go kick my dog now....oh wait, I don't have a dog.

·
Let it all Ride
1,316 Posts
Ya know Duke, if you candidly talk to any mechanic at a dealer in regard to modern diesels, they will tell you they hate them all. My father in law works at Emich Chevrolet as a diesel mechanic (Has been one for 35 years, mostly heavy machinery until 1997) and he says the Duramax is a pile of crap too. Which I don’t agree with but as he says, as soon as something breaks be ready to pull a second on your house. Hell, pop the hood on any new car, I wouldn't wanna work on it either. So I guess the moral of this is, they are all costly to fix and rest assured they will all have their problems. You just won’t hear about them as much because plain and simple, there’s about 500 Fords on the road for every 150 Chevy/GMC’s. I lot more buyers to be pissed off.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya know Duke, if you candidly talk to any mechanic at a dealer in regard to modern diesels, they will tell you they hate them all. My father in law works at Emich Chevrolet as a diesel mechanic (Has been one for 35 years, mostly heavy machinery until 1997) and he says the Duramax is a pile of crap too. Which I don’t agree with but as he says, as soon as something breaks be ready to pull a second on your house. Hell, pop the hood on any new car, I wouldn't wanna work on it either. So I guess the moral of this is, they are all costly to fix and rest assured they will all have their problems. You just won’t hear about them as much because plain and simple, there’s about 500 Fords on the road for every 150 Chevy/GMC’s. I lot more buyers to be pissed off.
I think the reason most (not all) of the mechanics are pissed off is because they hate working on them becuase they're all so complex.

However, if you look at the GMC and the Ford I have and compare repair history, there is no comparison.

'07 GMC DMAX: 75,000 miles no engine or drivetrain repairs.
'08 Ford 6.4L: 44,500 miles: Y pipe replaced (10.2 hours, cab removed), #5 injector, injector harness, low press fuel pump.

That's just my experience. I realize other people might have different experiences. The fuel economy on this truck is also terrible. If I'm getting 10 MPG empty, I'd be surprised.

Hopefully things will get better. If not, I'm thinking Dodge 5500 or an IH 4xxx with 4WD.

·
Let it all Ride
1,316 Posts
I think the reason most (not all) of the mechanics are pissed off is because they hate working on them becuase they're all so complex.

However, if you look at the GMC and the Ford I have and compare repair history, there is no comparison.

'08 Ford 6.4L: 44,500 miles: Y pipe replaced (10.2 hours, cab removed), #5 injector, injector harness, low press fuel pump.

That's just my experience. I realize other people might have different experiences. The fuel economy on this truck is also terrible. If I'm getting 10 MPG empty, I'd be surprised.

Hopefully things will get better. If not, I'm thinking Dodge 5500 or an IH 4xxx with 4WD.

I couldn't agree more. These things are downright confusing when you pop the hood. I also agree that the mileage on these trucks are flat out terrible. I know were on winter diesel now, but fully deleted, I'm hand calculating to 15.7ish all highway at around 75 mph.

·
2,126 Posts
Honestly this is the reason I don't buy used Diesels because you never know how they were treated before you got them. The only one I ever bought used gave me problems (05 Ex) Just my .02, I know this doesn't help you. My 6.4 runs like a champ after 45,000 miles.

Reactions: Duke

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's good to hear. At least there's hope.
I don't think the LP fuel pump, Y-pipe issue or #5 injector or wiring harness sound like previous owner abuse.
The only "abuse" I saw was that there quite a few scratches from sticker bushes on the paint.

·
606 Posts
Duke. This is a navastar engine. There a a bunch of them in service that run high mileage. Yes they are detuned from Ford specs but they are still the same engine. The low pressure pump is not the engine. The big pain, if that is what it is called. is they require you to do diligence on maintenance. I can go to my Ford dealer and there are several mechanics that sing praises for the 6.4. The extended warranty might fit your situation because of the high cost of parts alone.

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts

You a comparing a motor that has been around for 7 years vs a 1st year motor. The 1st year dmax had plenty of problems. In fact until 06 the dmax was full of problems lol. Point is they all problems.

Reactions: Eazydeezy

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You a comparing a motor that has been around for 7 years vs a 1st year motor. The 1st year dmax had plenty of problems. In fact until 06 the dmax was full of problems lol. Point is they all problems.
Look, I'm no loyalist. I make excuses for nothing, including myself. This 6.4L engine is problematic. I've owned it for 2 months and it's undergone 2 fairly expensive repairs. Previous owner had problems, too. Shame on me for buying it.

The LP fuel pump not being covered under warranty is a truckload of chit. I've been driving trucks for 30 years. Everything from Triaxles down to pickups, backhoes, loaders, farm tractors, you name it. The one thing that keeps getting worse is reliability. I don't care if it's a 1st year engine or a 10th year engine. If a fricking truck manufacturer like IH can't produce a reliable diesel engine in its' 1st year after building them for over 50 years, they should be ashamed of themselves. Especially after the 6L debacle. You'd think the next engine would be bulletproof. All I read is this bs about how IH road tests them for 1 million miles and thousands of hours to look for reliability issues and these engines still come off the line unreliable. :bdh

WTF escuse is there for that? Especially when you're trying to make a living with a truck.
I find it simply ridiculous, but not surprising that Ford wants $4,500 for a warranty on an engine that can't make it through it's original warranty period without spending weeks of time in the dealership having repairs made that aren't even covered.

My rant is over. I'm going to make the best of this and look for a replacement if thigs don't get better real fast for a long time.

·
29 Posts
Duke sorry to hear of your troubles. I ordered my truck in 08. It's a 6.4 F350 crew cab longbed FX4. I use Amsoil since new and maintain it like I do everything else in my OCD world. I have 85,xxx on it now. I developed a antifreeze leak the other day. I can't find where it's leaking but the drops are dripping off the frame in the very front drivers side almost at the front bumper. I had the venturi T done and has given me no trouble till now. Does anyone know if the TSB's are covered if the 3tear/36k miles is up? I love the power and am a diesel fan but with the added cost of the diesel engine,higher fuel prices and more maintenence costs I'm unsure if it's still worth it. Flowmasters are starting to sound much nicer lately. LOL

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You've developed an anti freeze leak and I've got a rainwater leak. :roflol:
After sitting in he rain all night, I have found water drops behind the back seat.
Checked the roof of the truck and there's no holes drilled for any aftermarket equipment.
Also, my information center randomly switches from english to metric without me touching the push-in selector. I come out in the morning and the truck reads in k/m and metric. :roflol:

As much as it pains me to do so, I think I'm going to give this truck a year and then send it down the road. Looking into 6.7 Cummins/Aisin or the newer scorpion Fords cause this '08 is looking more and more "yellow" (as in lemon) than I ever imagined. There's no way I'll get my money back.

I don't think all Fords are bad, but this one is not looking like a keeper.

Sorry to hear about your A/F leak. My guess is that it's the upper rad hose. They are a known problem spot.

·
29 Posts
After sitting in he rain all night, I have found water drops behind the back seat.
Checked the roof of the truck and there's no holes drilled for any aftermarket equipment.
Also, my information center randomly switches from english to metric without me touching the push-in selector. I come out in the morning and the truck reads in k/m and metric. :roflol:

As much as it pains me to do so, I think I'm going to give this truck a year and then send it down the road. Looking into 6.7 Cummins/Aisin or the newer scorpion Fords cause this '08 is looking more and more "yellow" (as in lemon) than I ever imagined. There's no way I'll get my money back.

Sorry to hear about your A/F leak. My guess is that it's the upper rad hose. They are a known problem spot.
I will have to check that out tomorrow. When was you truck built? I was lucky enough to get a job 3 becase I waited a while. I use mine as a daily driver. I'd have to run the numbers when it's time for a new one to see if another diesel makes sense.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will have to check that out tomorrow. When was you truck built? I was lucky enough to get a job 3 becase I waited a while. I use mine as a daily driver. I'd have to run the numbers when it's time for a new one to see if another diesel makes sense.
Mine was built 08/07. Not sure what "job" mine is, but it sure is a job to fix the problems.
Sad thing is if it wasn't so problematic and the fuel economy wasn't so bad, I'd probably like it.

·
606 Posts

If your have a slider rear window check that. Put some blue painters tape around the lower and right side of the window, not alot just one strip wide. If it stops you found the leak.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If your have a slider rear window check that. Put some blue painters tape around the lower and right side of the window, not alot just one strip wide. If it stops you found the leak.
No slider. I'm thinking it's the blank cover plate that seals the high stop light/rear bed light, but it looks sealed tight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts