The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so sorry for the long back story
I've got a 2003 7.3 with custom power hungry performance tunes cold air straight pipe and head studs
I replaced injectors after oring failure on injectors that had 170000 miles on them and decided to replace injectors with unlimited diesel performance enhanced stock injectors from black cloud diesel. After replacement I got my chip reprogrammed by power hungry performance and by the time I got it running again temps were in the 30s last fall. On start up there is lots of white smoke and sometimes gray smoke and what sounds like a misfire sometimes popping and pinging with or without it plugged in. Also when driving at about 1300-1700 rpm it has a really bad shake but goes away if you let off the throttle cold or warm. Sometimes at about 25 mph it's like a surging or lurching forward. Ive replaced the cps valve cover gaskets injector harnesses glow plugs and still can't figure it out I have 50 psi at the fuel bowl at idle or just cruising and about 42-44 at full throttle. It was failing #8 on contribution test and then talking to unlimited and they said try swapping #6 and #8 to see if it followed. I did that the other day and now I can't get it to fail on a contribution test. It's not throwing any codes and in higher rpm ranges runs fine. Anybody have any ideas? everyone I've talked to including unlimited diesel performance is stumped. They said I could pull the injectors and send them in and they said they would flow test them to eliminate a bad injector even though they have less than 1000 miles on them but that would be about two weeks. Thanks and sorry for the long post

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
If the contribution test had failed #6 after swapping #6 & #8, then you could safely assume it was an injector problem, but since the problem has since gone away on the contribution test, it's more likely not just one injector. Having replaced all that you have, it begs the question, why not sent in the injectors? But first, I'd check the IPR, both by checking the duty cycle, and by possibly by pulling it and doing a physical inspection. It's not impossible that you have low ICP or some other issue. Additionally, it would be worth checking the harness between the IDM and the engine, check the pins on your chip and PCM are making good contact, try a different tune and see if the problem still exists. All kinds of variables, all kinds of possibilities.

Sent by my right thumb!

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did end up pulling the injectors and found what the problem probably was. When I went to pull 7 it came out really hard. After finding the copper crush ring it was bent up somehow it must have fell off while putting the injector in and wedged in side ways. Replaced the cups while I was in there and had the injectors sent back to make sure no damage was done since 7 was covered in carbon and burnt up lower oring a bit. Having new orings put on before they send them back.

Reactions: harry6.0
1 - 4 of 4 Posts