The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Singles Club #2
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...im looking at buying a 2002 cummins...the body looks great...has 114k...unfortunately its an auto...and the only problem i could find was that the shift lever was hard to pull down...anybody have any ideas why it would be hard to pull?? thanks

·
Registered
422 Posts
hard as in something is putting it in a bind, or just tight w/o any slack like a new truck.

·
Singles Club #2
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
StrokeThisGoat said:
hard as in something is putting it in a bind, or just tight w/o any slack like a new truck.
its tight like it would be binding

·
3,514 Posts
Check the linkage arm. All kinds of weird stuff can happen if that comes loose or gets in a funny position on the rod coming out of the trans. It could be having trouble with some other part of the linkage too. that is where I would start, I doubt its something internal.
Sean

·
Singles Club #2
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks...i'll check it out when i go to pick it up...if the bank would ever call back to set up a loan appointment

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Was there ever a shift kit put in? I've never ran into it but I guess if a novice was putting in a shift kit he might be able to screw something up in the rooster comb.

·
3,514 Posts
Yeah, thats a good point. Either way, I would pull the linkage rod off of the shifter arm. the shifter arm being the one directly attached to the transmission, On the same little spindle that the TV cable attaches too. Pull the linkage off of that and check to see if that arm moves freely. If it doesn't, you have a problem inside the trans, if it does, then your problem is going to be a linkage problem, which I'm betting it is, but you never know.
Sean

·
Singles Club #2
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phily 911 said:
Was there ever a shift kit put in? I've never ran into it but I guess if a novice was putting in a shift kit he might be able to screw something up in the rooster comb.
I'm not sure if there was a shift kit put in...everything that i saw on the truck was stock except for the exhaust (4" muffler back)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts