The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who works for a construction company. He is one of the head maintenance techs both in the shop and out in the field. He said they still have a few older 7.3 Powerstoke that gets sent out every day. He told me all they do with the fuel filters is remove them, then clean then in a solvent and reinstall them. This does not seem like a good idea to me, but then again I am accustomed to gas engines. So is this a good thing to do, or should I keep buying new filters as apposed to reusing my old ones?

·
barely smokin'
119 Posts
Uhh I would say no to that, $30 every so often isn't enough of a price to justify reusing them, plus I don't think that would be too good for filtering.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Your buddy is dead wrong... Tell him you will reuse it if he will start making your truck payments

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought that was bad the my trucks health. But appearently, that is common practice where he works. I will continue to replace mine.

·
Rockin-S
215 Posts
Higher ups are usuly Morons

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Especialy in this case.

You all have to hear this. I asked him alittle while ago why they do that. I thought it was becuse that is what he wanted. Nope. Are you ready for this?

"Diesel is a natural cleaner and automaticly clenses the fuel system. Therfore it is not neccassary to replace the fuel filters"

That is according to his bosses.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Lonesome7.3 said:
Especialy in this case.

You all have to hear this. I asked him alittle while ago why they do that. I thought it was becuse that is what he wanted. Nope. Are you ready for this?

"Diesel is a natural cleaner and automaticly clenses the fuel system. Therfore it is not neccassary to replace the fuel filters"

That is according to his bosses.
WOW! well dang.... if it 'automaticly clenses the fuel system' then there should be no need for the filters at all. itll save em the time it costs to pull, clean and re-install em.....:umno:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've heard of permanent filters that are reusable and cleanable. I know the oil filter for a PSD runs about 120$ and is said to filter better. If they are using one of these filters it might explain it. Since you said it was the higher ups I doubt they are. They are usually more worried about money up front than money down the road.

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, he said there the $20 disposable ones. I did not know there actually IS a reusable filter for my body style. I have heard of them for newer trucks though. Maybe that is something else I should look into.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Lonesome7.3 said:
Soooo... what are you saying?

That looks pretty cool. Where do you get black fuel filter from?
The fuel filter housing. :poke:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
LOL Lonesome, that filter WAS white when he put in the can to begin with.
It scares me how cheap some of these companies get when it comes to maintenance..I wonder if they think the chassis doesn't need to be greased because that was done at the factory too...

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know it was white. I have changed a few in my truck since I have had it. I just felt the need to make a joke about it.

I may not know a whole lot about diesels, but I can hold my own in other areas. That is why I feel the need to ask things that may seem like common sense to some. Deisels may be new to me, but being a mechanic is not.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Lonesome7.3 said:
I know it was white. I have changed a few in my truck since I have had it. I just felt the need to make a joke about it.

I may not know a whole lot about diesels, but I can hold my own in other areas. That is why I feel the need to ask things that may seem like common sense to some. Deisels may be new to me, but being a mechanic is not.
Ah, okay...I wasn't quite sure if you were serious or not..:)
..and I don't blame you for asking this question, hell, if you aren't sure about something, ask! We're always willing to steer people in the wrong direction...er, I mean HELP around here LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Uhh I would say no to that, $30 every so often isn't enough of a price to justify reusing them, plus I don't think that would be too good for filtering.
No offense sir but what your qualifications to validate your comment? I ask because I'm doing the same and need info to make my final decision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a friend who works for a construction company. He is one of the head maintenance techs both in the shop and out in the field. He said they still have a few older 7.3 Powerstoke that gets sent out every day. He told me all they do with the fuel filters is remove them, then clean then in a solvent and reinstall them. This does not seem like a good idea to me, but then again I am accustomed to gas engines. So is this a good thing to do, or should I keep buying new filters as apposed to reusing my old ones?
what solvent did you use?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts