The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 PSD with the e4od. It has 160,000 and the tourqe converter is shaking like hell when it locks out. I had a full tranny flush and there were brass shavings but no steel. It doesn't slip or miss shift, and I don't tow often or heavy. I will probably sell it in the spring. If I replace just the torque converter will that just make me aware of other problems in my tranny or could I get away with it for awhile.

·
Powered By Ford
2,438 Posts
Hmm.. to be honest I have no real expierence with this, but why put a new torque converter in a 160k mile trans? I'd just replace the whole 9 yards or trade it on a new truck.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
broadheadjohn said:
I have a 1995 PSD with the e4od. It has 160,000 and the tourqe converter is shaking like hell when it locks out. I had a full tranny flush and there were brass shavings but no steel. It doesn't slip or miss shift, and I don't tow often or heavy. I will probably sell it in the spring. If I replace just the torque converter will that just make me aware of other problems in my tranny or could I get away with it for awhile.
Heat has most likely warped the TC cover and lockup friction surface causing the shudder or the cover has balloned. If it works fine otherwise: Replace it with a single disc TC with billet back due to the 160K miles. That would be best for your use if you end up keeping it. Adding a triple disc TC can cause problems in a stock build thats new or with mileage. Best to have a better than stock build for a triple TC.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts