The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I'm wondering whether someone else has experienced, what I call a "shudder" while towing nominally a 10,000 lb 5th Wheel (or equivalent)?
In my case the "shudder" is felt only/mostly when beginning to drive in Tow Mode under light to moderate acceleration e.g. from street corner, light, etc.; not once rolling along in higher gears .
I've had the truck (& trailer) in to the local dealership who find that all diagnotics check out properly. The Customer Service personnel have been in touch with Ford and have been advised to "try altering the driveline angles" via different thicknesses of spacers/shims at the driveshaft center bearing, etc.
Anyone else recognise this issue?
A secondary issue appears to be "thirstyness". I've had 5 new F350 SRW SuperDuties within the last six years. This one's tough on diesel fuel. I know it's still a bit early to measure ultimate economy, but I figure it's only doing about 12.5 miles per US gal empty; 7.5-8 while towing -------- and that's driving gently/not while trying to squeeze all the power out of it either.
How about yours?
Rudy :smoke

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
if it has a two piece drive shaft could be getting a lil wobble from the support bearing

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a wild guess. Dodge owners have had this issue on various forums. I understand Ford has extended the rear springs this year, longer for better ride unloaded.
Dodges main leafs are very long, suspect this may cause shudder and wheel hop. Wheel hop has been a big concern with many, including mine. IMO, if you also have anti-lock it may make it more noticable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shudder

Rudy,

I have this shudder also, 5 to 10 mph towing a 2007 cyclone 5th wheel. 2008DRW 350, 4.10 axles 4x4. I have spoken to Ford and they essentially blew me off as saying it was normal. I think they confused shudder with chucking. It is definitely a vibration, I don't know if it is angle related or something to do with the LS in the Dana. I have spoken to 2 other 2008 owners and it is common to 5th wheel towing with these trucks. Got to be related to the leaf spring change? I have contemplated air bags to keep the rear level to attempt to isolate to the driveline angle. I am interested to see if this is a larger problem and how Ford responds.

Scott

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same issue with my truck as well. I found this TSB http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35253, that is related to this issue, but for earlier model years. I thought I would make an appointment with the dealer, hook up the trailer and let them have a crack at solving this issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts