The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Its Me !
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Silencer Ring

Ditch the Ring & Make er' Sing

A silencer ring is a metal baffle placed into the turbocharger inlet to reduce whistle from the turbocharger. It is installed in Ram truck engines at the request of Chrysler. The silencer ring has no effect on engine output, EGT, or boost levels.

Removal:

Remove the flex hose from the front of the turbo that goes to the breather. Just inside the turbo, you will see a snap ring that looks like a piston ring (charcoal color), very gently with a small flat blade screw driver, lift one end of the snap ring out of the groove, then continue to work around the snap ring, lifting it out of the groove. When the snap ring has been removed, you can easily remove the silencer ring.

WITH

WITH OUT

HERE IT IS

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rich said:
......That has no effect other than sound?
Yeah, ain't it cool!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wat About On The 06 Dodge?

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
From what I've heard, the 06 has a silencer ring plus another couple criss-crossed fins up in the intake tube just a few inches from the turbo

·
Registered
84 Posts
are they worth tackin out?

·
Registered
8 Posts
took my silencer ring out the other day. Now it's a little louder through the turbo. Yeah, there is somekind of plastic crisscross pieces in the duct. Didn't want to pull it off cause I'm planning to by a Air raid system.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yea I Took The Silencer Ring Out Of My 06 First And I Left The Crisscrossed Plastic In It Sounds The Same .then I Took The Crissed Crossed Piece Out Man!!!!!!!!! It's Loud, I Like It. I Can Turn The Radio On Full Blast And U Can Still Hear It

·
20 Posts
How did you take the Crisscrossed Plastic out of the tube. Mine is on large threads! HELP!!!! 2005 2500

·
Registered
2 Posts
FSTDZL said:
Yea I Took The Silencer Ring Out Of My 06 First And I Left The Crisscrossed Plastic In It Sounds The Same .then I Took The Crissed Crossed Piece Out Man!!!!!!!!! It's Loud, I Like It. I Can Turn The Radio On Full Blast And U Can Still Hear It
Hi Friend! say do you or anyone else know if the Ram 3500 CTD has the "crisscrossed plastic" in it? I took my plastic crap off and put a nice shiny metal tube on from Geno's; it really doesn't make much more noise but I'm a little deaf from shooting so many guns over the years:gun:

can u help??

Mike T. in seattle

·
Registered
425 Posts
how did you take out the c
rissed crossed piece

·
Registered
1 Posts
DieselMinded said:
Silencer Ring

Ditch the Ring & Make er' Sing

A silencer ring is a metal baffle placed into the turbocharger inlet to reduce whistle from the turbocharger. It is installed in Ram truck engines at the request of Chrysler. The silencer ring has no effect on engine output, EGT, or boost levels.

Removal:

Remove the flex hose from the front of the turbo that goes to the breather. Just inside the turbo, you will see a snap ring that looks like a piston ring (charcoal color), very gently with a small flat blade screw driver, lift one end of the snap ring out of the groove, then continue to work around the snap ring, lifting it out of the groove. When the snap ring has been removed, you can easily remove the silencer ring.

WITH

WITH OUT

HERE IT IS

do the 92 dodge cummins have a silencer ring...i dont know much about diesels

·
Registered
425 Posts
Have 2004.5 600

Took out ring and ganed 1.5 mpg . Weard :shrug: and is louder

·
Hillbilly Deluxe
383 Posts
so that little black ring is all it is? theres nothing with it just a ring on mine. how can that silence it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
i took out the silencer ring and it is a lil louder, would it help make it whistle more if i took of the intake tube off and put a AFE tourge tube on instead? or if anyone has any other ideas let me know

·
232 Posts
wat year is this for?

·
Registered
49 Posts
does taking that out void the warranti?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts