The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, how difficult is it to find a manual d-max, are they like, give up don't look, or are my chances a little better than that?

·
3,754 Posts
they are pretty rare.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah... that's what I was afraid of. would there be any possible hope of specially ordering a manual trans new, I remember hearing about someone doing that, but it was a WHILE ago, doubt they still do

·
3,939 Posts
They are rare, but they are out there. Hope you're not picky about color, options, etc...

Try AutoTrader, Cars.com, Ebay, etc. There was only one 2001-04 6 speed listed within 100 miles of me.

·
32 Posts
cajuncummins said:
...would there be any possible hope of specially ordering a manual trans new,...
Sorry to say, No.
GM in their great wisdom dropped the manual transmission in favor for the Allison in Dec of 2005(?). GM claims that in 2005 over 90 percent of the three-quarter and one-ton customers ordered their Duramax 6600 with the Allison transmission - prompting them to focus on power, torque and emissions improvements, where they provide greatest benefits for the largest number of customers, leaving the, so called, 10%... SOL.

I call BS on "90% customers order their Duramax with the Allison transmission" part, but that is a long RANT of mine about salesmen and dealerships.

So do not give up hope. Remember, 10% of the used DMax's have the ZF-6.

Good luck,
jc

·
Registered
21 Posts
:bow: Allison...

BTW... they're out there... You'll find one, you might have to give up a few little things that you might want, but just keep lookin

·
1,705 Posts
jc64 said:
Sorry to say, No.
GM in their great wisdom dropped the manual transmission in favor for the Allison in Dec of 2005(?). GM claims that in 2005 over 90 percent of the three-quarter and one-ton customers ordered their Duramax 6600 with the Allison transmission - prompting them to focus on power, torque and emissions improvements, where they provide greatest benefits for the largest number of customers, leaving the, so called, 10%... SOL.

I call BS on "90% customers order their Duramax with the Allison transmission" part, but that is a long RANT of mine about salesmen and dealerships.

So do not give up hope. Remember, 10% of the used DMax's have the ZF-6.

Good luck,
jc

90% were not ordered that way by customers,the **** dealer ordered them that way IMO,if there had been more ZF6 trucks on lots more would have sold.That and GM made it out like the Ally was the "god" of trannys. The local dealer always had some and always sold them :Thumbup: .

My buddys is for sale on here in the for sale section.

·
Cummins Man
980 Posts
Good luck finding one. I looked for a long time, found 6 when I couldnt do anything then nothing. I think they need to get the idiots out of GM's corporate office.

Andy

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree, every once in a while our sales manager would order 1 or 2 with the ZF6, but they just chose to order mostly auto's. Look at dodge and ford, i seriously doubt that chevy customers only order auto's, GM is just lazy and money hungry, i'd love a gmt900 with a lmm and 6 spd manual trans. GM needs to do some house cleaning and build some variety into their trucks.

·
1,705 Posts
dazed&confused said:
I think they need to get the idiots out of GM's corporate office.

Andy
X10 :Thumbup: for sure :mafia .

·
32 Posts
01duramax6spd said:
90% were not ordered that way by customers,the **** dealer ordered them that way IMO,if there had been more ZF6 trucks on lots more would have sold.That and GM made it out like the Ally was the "god" of trannys. The local dealer always had some and always sold them :Thumbup: .
This is my RANT exactly.
It was dealerships stocking their lots with inventory they wanted, and pushing the Allison. (Dealership market research must be slim to none)
Now look at how the USA was during the first four-five years of the DMax. (9/11-people quit buying autos-fuel prices rising-a lot of negatives) Dealerships over ordered.
And then... THE SALES (0% finance, employee pricing, supplier pricing), all to get rid of the inventory on the lots, in which was everything the dealership ordered for themselves.
How many settled for the Allison, because of a sale, that really wanted the ZF instead? (GM, you'll never know, will ya)
Dealerships around here were scared s-less to have ZF's on their lots. "No one wants a manual transmission when there is The Allison." (Quote by local dealerships around here.) Give me a break.

Oh well, I got a ZF-6 and I am very happy.
Automatics are for cars.

jc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.