The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
TDG Mafia Member #56
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am building a pulling truck on a tight budget as many of us are. I have a 12v cummins and I am thinking of using an allison trans out of a straight truck. Probabaly an AT545. I know they are about bullet proof. My biggest problem with this is, I know you loose about 30% of your power through a auto trans. I just I would get some of you other pullers' ideas and thoughts. I was thinking of dropping the gears in my truck and I could start out in a higher gear with the trans to get some speed up quick. Feel free to give your thoughts and ideas. Tahnks.:shrug:

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
You would be better off just to put a 5 speed in it, with a heavy clutch. Yeah those 545, 643 allison's are tough, but they just wont get the power to the ground like a manual tranny will IMO. Plus, those allison's are heavy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you're on a budget like you say just go with a manual trans. Much cheaper and much less compiclated to swap in.

·
TDG Mafia Member #56
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I figuired it might be worth a shot. I have 2 of them laying around, but I am leaning more on the 5 speed as well. They are heavy and i know i will lose power through it not to mention it will probabaly slip some with any kind of increased power. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
713 Posts
5speed big input shaft and a pulling cutch

·
Registered
80 Posts
Allisons arent bullet proof. That is a misconception......
That old ally is probably rated for around 250hp....if that..
Go ahead put 600hp through it and see how bullet proof it is.

The Duramax guys who actually pull now have to sink about $5-7k into their Allisons to get them to run right for pulling or drag racing competitively.

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
SlowDiesel said:
Allisons arent bullet proof.
The Duramax guys who actually pull now have to sink about $5-7k into their Allisons to get them to run right for pulling or drag racing competitively.
Yup....:whs

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wouldnt That Allison Put U In The Mod Class Too Because It Was Not Offered In Dodge Of Any Year Or Make ?
I Know A Guy With A 5 Spd For A Good Price

·
419 Posts
Why be the same as everbody else?:shrug:

·
TDG Mafia Member #56
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And besides why buy a 45,000 turd when I can spend less money or the same as what you are spending for that new truck and out perform that new truck. Especially in fuel mileage, that's why. And besides you can say you built it, you just didn't go buy it.

F

·
0 Posts
Alrigh guys, I just had to move a bunch of posts, let's keep this on subject...and rememeber just because you would not do it doesn't mean it stupud, or lame. Come hang out with me, you'd think all kinds of stuff I did was stupid LOL

·
Registered
211 Posts
big problem is NOT 1 TON or less optional equipment , sorry and it is actually weaker than the allison 1000 that come in some big rigs , your 545 comes in alot of school busses and I went to buy one to haul my puller on and the local reman companies told me it would never hold up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
that is hold up after I turned the busses 5.9 up

·
TDG Mafia Member #56
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have some research on this AT545 and I have found out that it really isn't a good trans for what I would try to do. The only thing it would is add weight. I just thought I might be able to throw one in there and try it, but I have already scrapped the whole dumb idea. Thanks for all the help though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts