The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Wyoming Cowboy
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna take a shot at pulling next weekend, here in Wyoming, and wondered if Matt's 275 tune will get too hot. I believe some have pulled w/Spartan. What tune did you run with?

Thanks,

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
I think pahrump pulled with the 275V1. The 275V3 is a cooler tune from what Ive heard.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yeah I pulled with the 275V1......pulled great...temps...I dunno, I am sure they were pegged.

·
55 Posts
Sled pulling a pull lasts no more than 10-15 sec you want the hottest tune you can get, a little heat can't hurt nothing in that short of a time. I would start in 2nd low and manually shift it to 3rd. Don't let it go into drive. 3rd with the converter locked is where you will really womp on the competition.

Make sure you run a good hitch tucked up tight against your bumper.

I have done real well with my 6.0L its all about a good set of stoppers traction bars a good pulling hitch. I have beat 500+ HP dmx's I always rand 3rd from start to stop. I think it is better to start in 2nd and then bump it to 3rd. This is in 4x4 low.

·
Wyoming Cowboy
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gents,

Not sure on the hitch....event organizer just told me to make sure my drop was 26" or closer to the ground.
Are you talking about that when you say keep your hitch tucked close to the bumper?

·
Powered By Ford
2,438 Posts
make sure you hold the brake down and mash the throttle to build boost and dont let off the brake until the pedal is planted and you've got some boost on the gauge

·
Powered By Ford
2,438 Posts
Thanks Gents,

Not sure on the hitch....event organizer just told me to make sure my drop was 26" or closer to the ground.
Are you talking about that when you say keep your hitch tucked close to the bumper?
higher hitch=more leverage, If limit is 26", you want to be right at 26" or as close as possible to be as competitive as possible. :thumbsup

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
You gotta take some pics of it pulling.

·
Training Wheels King
1,301 Posts
No weight limit huh? I know your truck is REAL heavy

·
55 Posts
Thanks Gents,

The closer ur hooking point is to the rear axel the more wt stays on the front axel while pulling. 4" closer to the bumper makes a night and day difference. That's why a lot of big pullers cut the bumper out.

·
Wyoming Cowboy
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again everyone for your help. It's raining/snowing now so hopefully event will not be cancelled.

I bought a new receiver that is 2" drop vs my 10". I turned the 2" upside down and sit 25" off the ground with the middle of the clevis/shackle. I had to drill a new hole so the receiver would slide back in another 4-5" (it is burried as far back as it will go). So, I think I am as high and tight as she is going to get.

So from what you guys are saying...launch like I did when drag racing (spooled up w/foot on brake)? I did this before during a Shiloh Ridge mud race (different Power Stroke w/40" swampers) and twisted my front outer axle shaft in two. This was in mud so was just wondering, with a hard packed dirt track, does this happen in pulling as well?

Thanks again and will have pull video taped as well.

·
Ultra Member
652 Posts
Are they going to let you pull with your fiberglass hood? I'm trying to find out if NADM will let me, cause sometimes they won't, and if they won't, I'm going to be piooooosssssed.

·
Wyoming Cowboy
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't know...

Knew nothing about fiberglass hoods not being allowed.

I guess, as far as they know, it's metal...right?:thumbsup

Also, someone else asked me about a kill switch wired out back by the bumper. I don't know anything about that either and the event coordinator didn't mention anything about it.

:happymugs

·
Ultra Member
652 Posts
I've never heard of anything about the kill switch. The main rules I see that I don't like is the fiberglass hood one, the upwards pointing exhaust, and haven't bolts going through your exhaust by the downpipe. All lame if you ask me.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I bet they dont let you pull with that hood...they may..but I would not hold my breath.

As for pulling, I was told by many to ease into the throttle until you feel the sled start to move then mash it. I did this and did well.

·
Ultra Member
652 Posts
Yah, I doubt they will let me pull with the hood, but I'll try. I'm not going to swap back to my stock hood to go pull 2-3 times a year.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
They sure are picky. Why cant you have a fiberglass hood?

·
Registered
28 Posts
they don't want pieces flying everywhere if the motor, fan or something was to let go. people are a little safer with a steel hood because it has a better chance of of containment also fire is another reason if it breaks out it could easly catch the hood. I have never seen any of these things happen but I suppose it's possible. From my pulling experiance it really depends on the type of track you are pulling on. if it is super dry soft dirt you will need to be light on the throttle to maintain tracktion before you go full throttle and if it's a hard or somewhat sticky clay which is the best you can get in it alot faster. These trucks are not like the old ones where you would have to boost it and then mash the throttle. These trucks boost so quickly that all you will do depending on the track is spin the tires and get no traction or get wheel hop which breaks things. just roll forward till you feel the wieght behind you ease into the throttle once your rolling if the track is right slowy increase clear to the floor. If your truck is set up right you can boost a little and mash it on a optimal track but that how I broke the right front axle last year

·