The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Haulin' Azz
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steel or Aluminium ?

We have all steel Weatherguard tanks , but one of my guys said get aluminium because it saves weight !

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
If you are talking about for fuel, yes indeed, on a 100 gallon tank you will save 50lbs or more PLUS you don't have the corrosion issues that you do with steel.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Ayup, they do, no rust streaks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I run steel tanks on my trucks because of throwing tools or other objects in the beds. Plus I can paint them if needed.

·
8 Posts
I had all of my Weathergard in-bed tanks coated with the spray-on bedliner coating and I will never, ever, use an aluminum or painted steel tank in there again. The coating makes the tank dissappear looking from the side, stopped the rusting I saw on regular painted ones, hides dents, and lets me move it after 200k miles to the next truck without refinishing.

I paid $225 to coat each of the last three and, like the Mastercard slogan, it is priceless.

Just my 2cents.:cheers

·
3,754 Posts
You run what color bed liner on your tanks? I woudl think if you used black itd get very hot and youd have alot of outage int he sun. Ive never tried aluminum, though I know I am not godo w/polishing and esp iff you had it under a tool box etc coudlnt wash it well. Steel tanks I can paint every now and hten.

·
8 Posts
thejdman04 said:
You run what color bed liner on your tanks? I woudl think if you used black itd get very hot and youd have alot of outage int he sun.
They're all black and never a problem with heat or corrosion yet. They look good enough to put in a new truck after construction site use of the trucks for 2 1/2 years or 90k miles. Now, they are L-shaped with an aluminum cross box covering them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts