The Diesel Garage banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slipping Tranny-cheap solutions

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  killerbee 
#1 ·
If one just wanted to get more bite out of the allison, is there any relatively non-invasive methods to do that? Just another 75-100 ft-lbs. Obviously I am talking about 5th gear.

#2 ·
Install a Transgo Kit and it will solve your issues.

#4 ·
Kennedy Diesel said:
It depends where your TQ level is. I've dyno'd a LB7 with Transgo kit and new GM TQ converter and at around 700 lb/ft it slipped just like the stock transmission does...

I would think there was something else wrong with that trans if it slipped at 700tq. An Edge on level 3 puts you past 700, doesn't it?
Havent people been able to use Transgo and a converter to allow the "normal" 100-140hp upgrades? I'm not talking stacking or the big tuners, as those should require a full-built trans..

#5 ·
The stock transmission with proper ECM and TCM programming will hold about 400 Hp and 800 Ft lbs. The transgo kit will put it well beond that but the converter will not hold. A stock converter is done about 700 ft lbs.

#6 ·
Kennedy Diesel said:
It depends where your TQ level is. I've dyno'd a LB7 with Transgo kit and new GM TQ converter and at around 700 lb/ft it slipped just like the stock transmission does...
I remember that day.... That was with an Edge box IIRC, nobody ever heard of EFI live at that time.

You could feel the truck jump as the edge defueled when the converter slipped. I would imagine JK would have the dyno sheet somewhere but those numbers are pretty accurate.

#7 ·
killerbee said:
If one just wanted to get more bite out of the allison, is there any relatively non-invasive methods to do that? Just another 75-100 ft-lbs. Obviously I am talking about 5th gear.
Is the 75-100 ft-lbs. increase at the wheels and relative to the maximum torque stock TCM programming, a stock converter and 5-speed will support?

I understand a few folks with the 5-speed have performed the Transgo valve body and trim valve modifications without the C2 apply modifications. 5th gear is C2 and C3 applied, so this may not provide much benefit in 5th gear.

:)

#8 ·
stevebos said:
Is the 75-100 ft-lbs. increase at the wheels and relative to the maximum torque stock TCM programming, a stock converter and 5-speed will support?

:)
I am experimenting with tuning, so that power can be increased at higher rpms, yet reduced under typical 5th gear rpms, to avoid limping at it's most fragile point, typically the highway 5th gear load. So, in theory, if I just inhibit some power until say, 2400 rpm (most people won't see 2400 and 5th together), then more power should be able to be added while reducing that 5th gear limping tendency.

There is an EFI table for this already. I have yet to tinker with it, but I see no reason it wouldn't work. We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.