The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just replaced both batterys in hopes of solving my starting problems.... it cranks alot faster now!

that helped but still have issues...so i changed the lower fuel filter ( did the upper about 5k ago) which helped...

Now she is starting slow..it will crank good and fast, the motor starts but is running slow, like 400 rpms. and takes awhile to pull out of it. once it is running it is fine.

05' 6L 106xxx mi. w/ AFE air filter, 5" MBRP, and 4" lift... rest is stock
I bought the truck w/ 75xxx mi.

Could this be my egr? or something bigger?

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops! Looks like i put this in the wrong folder!! Can a mod move this for me.

Thanks

·
811 Posts
Are you running a custom tune?

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope....only mods are exhaust and air filter!

·
HalfAst Racing
456 Posts
hot or cold or both?fuel pressure,youll know for sure if the injectors start missing.6.0s never start as fast as the 7.3s though.both filters every 10k is the rule.start with fuel pressure

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry i had to leave town for a few days....a week! I just got home. I rode the sporster, so the truck has sat for a week now. We'll see how it starts in the morning!

doesn't appear to be leaking any thing...

is there a cheap way to check the fuel pressure?

Oh, it will do it when ever it feels like, the tempature up here in western washington has been in the upper 40's...

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
seemed to start fine yesterday... did some running around and only once did it think about a slow idle but it pulled out of it as soon as i thought it was doing it.

It did however take a while for the tranny to come to life!? Was making a weird whining noise, reving up, and not shifting like it should.. hope this doesnt become a problem....that was the first I have known it to do this..

any idea where the oil leak might be and why it is happening?

And it seems to slow idle start when you start and stop the engine frequently...

I have also knoticed that there is a big delay in the throttle... It has been this way since I got the truck a couple years ago. if you quickly tap the throttle with your foot it stays at an idle..if you step on it for 1-2 sec it will start to rev up.

When the truck was slow idling I tried to throttle out of it and it did nothing! So could it be a throttle sencer?

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
still having the starting issues!! If I leave the truck set for 2 or more hours it will fire right off...so I have been plannig my day accordingly.

Monday I unpluged my egr..just to see what would happen. She puked black smoke for a few miles and then cleared up! The check engine light didn't come on though... The truck always started right up with no problems.

Yesterday I desided to plug the egr back in and see if the issue was still there.

I have not had a problem yet....Any idea on what is going on under the hood?

·
27 Posts
mine did the same thing right after i got it. turned out the egr valve was sticking open.

·
Reading & amp; amp; a
53 Posts
Replaced EGR valve tonight...

It actually started worse... :damnit

I just had the fuel filter replaced the other day also... and it never did it before that...

Vapor locking in the fuel filter area?? :read

Starts like a champ so far when the engine is cold...

·
Dually Club Member #96
84 Posts
Thats what my truck was doing. I burned the dummy seals in the heads. The oil is not at the right psi, the fuel injecters wont work right if at all. After those were swaped, started like it was new. Internal oil leaks, can loose psi fast or low, like depending where the oil pumps stroke is when the engine is shut down. Are you covered by the warranty? other wise its about $1300.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts