The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a CL 713 with a 300 (4 valve) and an 18 speed. I know it's not enough engine for where I live, but will the fact that it has 18 speeds help it out that much?

I have a 300 (2 valve) in my single axle and it's great, but it only has a 9 speed, which if the tri-axle had I wouldn't even consider it.

can I turn up the 300 EM-6 to a 350 or 400?

TIA

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
My guess would be that a 300HP tri-axle with an 18 speed could do almost anything you want, just not as fast as one with 350-400 HP.

I see plenty of 250HP tri-axles hauling asphalt, etc. and they're doing OK. Probably with less gears, too.

I believe that it's more the driver than the truck. A lot of old timers can make a 300HP tri-axle do just fine because they know how to drive them.

If it's an incredible deal, go for it. If you can wait for something with a little more power, then wait.

·
342 Posts
Duke said:
My guess would be that a 300HP tri-axle with an 18 speed could do almost anything you want, just not as fast as one with 350-400 HP.
Exactly. Definently not the ideal engine for a tri axle, but it will work fine, no question about it. Especially with the 18 speed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts