The Diesel Garage banner

smarty and 100horse injectors

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  hccumminssmoke 
#1 ·
i used to have a edge EZ with 100 horse injectors on a stock turob. i thought this setup would go pretty good. well i sold the edge and im looking at the smarty for my next box, my ? here is how would that be compared to the EZ with the injectors?..would it be a big deffernce in power? would it be worth the money to do a smarty over an edge comp?

#3 ·
even with having the injectors, i guessing it would peak out a 2k then stop pulling hard? hrmm..i think i would like to feel and hear it having its monkey spanked throu the most of the power band if not all...i know the EZ would kick even at 2k plus

#4 ·
Well the smarty will pull past 2k. It willl also allow you to turn 3800 rpms if you have the fuel for it. Over all the drivability of the smarty kills everything else. But it just doesnt have all the extra power.

#5 ·
The Smarty will produce close to the same #'s as the EZ on a dyno. On the street or the strip the Smarty will show it's true colors though in much quicker 0 - 60 and 1/4mile times. Plus with the Smarty you get some cool features that the EZ doesn't produce. You get a high idle for cold temps, a code scanner/clearing devise, and if it's a older 24valve you get all the updated DC software to your ECM. Not to mention the Smarty will correct the speedo and odo for larger tires as well.

Once you have the Smarty for a while and want some more HP then you can stack it will a hoast of other fueling/timing boxes for some real arse kick'n HP.

It's a good buy at it's price and you can't go wrong with one IMO. Only down side I know of is there are guys with stock autos that say the Smarty does funny things to the tranny and the way it shifts. Other than that it's the real deal I think. :Thumbup:

DB

#7 ·
D_B said:
The Smarty will produce close to the same #'s as the EZ on a dyno. On the street or the strip the Smarty will show it's true colors though in much quicker 0 - 60 and 1/4mile times. Plus with the Smarty you get some cool features that the EZ doesn't produce. You get a high idle for cold temps, a code scanner/clearing devise, and if it's a older 24valve you get all the updated DC software to your ECM. Not to mention the Smarty will correct the speedo and odo for larger tires as well.

Once you have the Smarty for a while and want some more HP then you can stack it will a hoast of other fueling/timing boxes for some real arse kick'n HP.

It's a good buy at it's price and you can't go wrong with one IMO. Only down side I know of is there are guys with stock autos that say the Smarty does funny things to the tranny and the way it shifts. Other than that it's the real deal I think. :Thumbup:

DB
The smarty will dyno 40 hp less then an EZ on a high horsepower truck.

The trans issue is not limited to stock autos.

#8 ·
MKoth said:
The smarty will dyno 40 hp less then an EZ on a high horsepower truck.

The trans issue is not limited to stock autos.
Do you program the Smarty? Are you it's proprietor?

You seem to know a lot about one and what it will and won't do.

DB

#9 ·
I wouldn't think the tranny would shift any different by any programmer unless it somehow changed the way the PCM read the Gov. Pressure. Doesn't make sense to me. By what I've heard though the Edge Comp with the Smarty make a the perfect stack for a VP44. I'm pretty sure I heard the Smarty was good with low end fueling......... Not sure on that one though.

#10 ·
MKoth said:
Your smarty must be different then the one I had...

Well yeah i had them but in a special program just on my smarty to allow it to fuel past factory specs. Also they threw in a automatic *** wipper for when i decide to put it on the #8 setting. It was all free of charge and not available to any other customer.

You must not have had a truck that liked it or you didnt program it in right or something. My truck doesnt even drive the same with it off. When its downloaded my truck will spin the tires with a empty 8500lbs trailer on behind it. It totally changes the entire driveablity of the truck. 100 time more responsive off the line and running down the road at pritty much any rpm. The Juice w/ attitude isnt **** without the smarty stacked on it.

#11 ·
MKoth said:
Your smarty must be different then the one I had...

Well yeah i had them but in a special program just on my smarty to allow it to fuel past factory specs. Also they threw in a automatic *** wipper for when i decide to put it on the #8 setting. It was all free of charge and not available to any other customer.

You must not have had a truck that didnt like it or you didnt program it in right or something. My truck doesnt even drive the same with it downloaded. When its downloaded my truck will spin the tires with a empty 8500lbs trailer on behind it. It totally changes the entire driveablity of the truck. 100 time more responsive off the line and running down the road at pritty much any rpm. The Juice w/ attitude isnt crap without the smarty stacked on it.

#12 ·
well i ended up getting a juice w/attitude. i got a good deal on it..the smarty is still in mind too..im sure ill like the juice though.

#14 ·
Phily 911 said:
I wouldn't think the tranny would shift any different by any programmer unless it somehow changed the way the PCM read the Gov. Pressure. Doesn't make sense to me. By what I've heard though the Edge Comp with the Smarty make a the perfect stack for a VP44. I'm pretty sure I heard the Smarty was good with low end fueling......... Not sure on that one though.
The smarty appears change the APPS values. This has direct control over when the trans shifts.

This is copied from the TDR:

Fishin Guide:

"I have been patiently waiting like most of you guys for fixes.

I did recieve a test program that I have run and do like. It's similar to SW#3. I have no idea what the peak power of this new program is, but it is not enough to get the turbos spooled until deep in the throttle.

In a perfect world, I would like to see driveability similar to the Edge EZ in a downloader. This is due to the fact I have big sticks, twins, tight convertor and 285 tires.

My cruise is useless with any of the programs in place. This is of course due to the extra touchy pedal on the bottom and the big sticks, ect, ect. Honestly, I am looking at going back to the Edge products for the superior driveability with the built auto. Not to mention the shifting issues caused by the overly touchy throttle and the very low trans pressures associated with the throttle in the idle position makign half throttle power. It can't be good for the trans.

The anti theft feature works great, so I still use it for those days I am on the water and won't see my truck for 12 hours. Other than that, it's a very expensive code reader.

I have sent my results to Marco 3 times, with absolutely no acknowledgement or response. I have not even begun to address the issue of the OD shift falling on it's face. The Edge products don't do that.

So, there is absolutely no answer IF anything is gonna change anytime soon. It;s too bad. I bought this thinking I would continue to get the same service as always out of Bob W, but I realize, he does not write the programming. He just sells the product.

I guess there's always the Stocky program! YouTube - Stocky (the lost files)

So, what would I like to see? Like said above, less tip in fueling with the timing. Boost and throttle position referenced powering. ABS funtion while in "stock" mode. Make the entire pedal travel useful. Not just the first 5/8. Get rid of the OD shift falling on it's face. And, fix that annoying cruise surge!!

I had been told by someone close to the Smarty camp that NO updates would be coming for 2nd gens. The emphasis is on new product production and trying to fix the issues in those products. I was also told the program sent to me was to take the wind out of my sails about the issues with 2nd gens. As you can see, I am at a loss for words.

Dave"

#18 ·
I'm happy with my juice but it has surge issuse worse w/ stock injector 65mph is impossible sometimes above that fine w/ my injectors it has show small surges nothing like before was surprised by that i though the injectors would make the surgeing worse. but going from ez to the juice youll be happy i still would like to try a smarty heard to many good things about it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.