The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 2006 2WD 5.9 Mega Cab in TX. I drove it back from TX to Denver, CO. My fuel MPG was 19 with the cruise set at 75 in TX then to 70 the rest of the way home to Denver. The question is if I am getting 19 MPG on the HWY now, do I need to get a programmer? I don't know if the truck was already programed or not, how can I tell? If I get a programmer for $650.00 will it help my fuel mileage or am I at my peak now. I just don't want to buy a programmer if I don't need one. If I need one would the Smarty be the best one out there, the Bullydog looks nice? With the programmer do I need to get gages also? Can someone please help this "newbe" out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Smarty is one of the best investments I have made on my 07.5 6.7L. For sure you need an EGT guage.:goodvsevil

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I would at least do Pyro Boost and Trans temp ( if an auto) be careful with going to high while towing as any added power is going to shorted the stock tranny or clutch. but if you want a tuner Look at the Smarty or Smarty Jr.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Smarty Jr is the way to go if MPG is your focus.... the tuning is aimed at safe power to improve the towing experience.

other items to consider would be a high efficiency Torque Converter and custom Valve Body.

Rock On

1 - 4 of 4 Posts