The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
smarty over the edge comp. I have posted a thread on the smarty now im torn bewteen the smarty and edge comp, ive had a EZ with 100 horse injectors and loved it. Im wanting something that had some more kick to go with the sticks, i heard of the smarty with its low end kick and the comp with its good power band. i want to know which would be better to have. i do pull a trailer @12-15k sometimes to the mountains. trans has already been built. ive read the smarty dies off after 2k with its power. so help me out yall

·
4,158 Posts
Well the Smarty adds so much bottom end it feels like it is adding 120hp like the comp does. But it won't show up that way on the dyno. In reality the Smarty only adds about 65hp. The Comp is 120, and is adjustable on the fly. So for an all around good box I say go for the Comp. And maybe later in the future you can stack the Comp with the Smarty. The top end of the Comp along with the Bottom end of the Smarty, I have heard is a killer combo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HC im not looking to drag race or pull, i do pull a trailer to the mountains and some farm equ. around town. @15k max I like smoke and want my truck to last, no burn anything up to fast.

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
Are you looking for Tranny Upgrades??? You may not want to get a comp b/c w/o upgrading that tranny you wouldnt be smart to put it past much more power then a smarty will do..and yes the comp is adjustable on the fly, BUT you may find yourself changing you levels all the time and wear it down...for just simple HP id go with SMARTY and it reads codes that helps quite a bit...

Buckler

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh ive already had my trans built..VB,TC and a few other things that cost 2K

·
Registered
33 Posts
go with the tst comp box you wont be unhappy at all i love mine!!!

·
113 Posts
i say the comp but make it a drag comp. i had a drag comp on my stacked with a smarty on level 8. runs unbeliveable an it spools up real fast even with a big turbo but when it was dyno it made 70hp less then just running the drag comp by it self. the smarty takes fuels hard on the bottom end and kills you on the top end. the smarty didnt really help my mpg. it all in what you want to do with your truck:agreed:

·
411 Posts
Two totaly different power inhancers you have there.

One is a mild upgrade one is more on the higher side in upgrades as far as HP goes. Like what was said before you need to try and think about what you want to do with the truck. Smoke is unburnt fuel so it's not a good thing unless you got the boost to clear it up. I'm not a dyno junk, so #'s don't really mean a lot to me besides getting a base line. What I work off is 0 - 60 times and the old seat of the pants feeling.

Frist off do you have some gauges in the truck? If not you will need to get some or buy an Edge Juice with the Attitude monitor which is the same as a comp but with gauges in the monitor to help you keep track of what the truck is doing under you. Don't do either mod without a good set of gauges. Bare minium is a EGT, Boost, and Fuel pressure gauge.

Next once you get those gauges you can decide on what you want the truck to do. The Smarty will help ya get a load up a moving quicker than the Edge but the Smarty does seem to make some pretty serious EGT's since it fuels so hard down low. The Edge is nice because of it's adjustabillity, and will give you more power while cruising down the Hwy than the Smarty.

The Smarty as said above has some extra features that are nice as well. It is a code scanner/clearing device. Has a built in high idle for colder climates to keep the water temp up under extended idle times and aids in warm up on cold morings. The Edge Comp doesn't have anything like that. Now if you go the Juice/Attitude route you get some nice goodies like you get with the Smarty. The JA will give you all kinds of engine stats to watch. EGT's, Boost, Fuel Pressure, Tranny temps, just to name a few. It also has a turbo cool down timer built into as well.

So basicly you need to decide what kind of features you like, weather you want digital or analog gauges, and how much HP you want. Then we can all help ya decide on a box or programmer.

I have both, a Smarty and a Juice/Attitude stacked the power is insane and really a kick in the nuts to drive, but there are other steps you will have to take before stacking the two. Like a turbo some head upgrades and some sort of fueling upgrade to keep the injection pump happy and cool.

Good Luck,
DB

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im not sure why my Sig doesnt show when i post...but i do have full gauges..built trans.big line kit w/ holly blue....
but i ended up getting a juice with attitiude...im still thinking about doing the smarty too...later down the road....i want my truck to last with out having to do a turbo and headstuds.. im hoping i will be ok with the juice and 100 horse sticks...cant wait to feel the kick in the nuts feeling when i step on it...

·
64 Posts
I've been pretty happy with my Edge Comp and Smarty. For sure the low-end power of the Smarty is pretty impressive. Wet pavement? Shoot, I have to baby it, otherwise I'm fishtailing all over the place. Smokes pretty nice on command, too.:Thumbup:

·
Registered
170 Posts
all i know is i got my smarty set up today after having an edge juice wit attitude for months now an hollllly **** it hauls. good thing a southbend is on the way. and boy oh boy that thin smokes like a chimney when i want it to now. the girlfriend though it was hilarious.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
snowaholic said:
go with both
What he said. This is kind of like asking us..........
"Steak or Potatoes"
Well they are both good, but work great together as long as you watch your salt. (By salt I mean timing advance)

or "Cookies or Milk" or "Beer or Cigerattes" or..........
"Drinking or Driving" JOKING!!!

but ya get my point.

·
274 Posts
I'm thinking about getting the smarty but I get hot already.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i ran the comp on my dodge and loved it plenty of power adjustable good gas mileage i bought the smarty and loved it even more stacked on top of the comp but by there self i would say the comp theyre both for sell the edge and smarty if any ? pm me and ill let you know pricing

1 - 18 of 18 Posts