The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the Smarty box yet.. I was thinking about stacking this with the edge comp, but I did not know what kind of gains I would get from this.. Has anybody tried this yet???

·
393 Posts
We actually had a discussion about this about a month ago. Search smarty and look for the thread I started.
The smarty does low end fueling well. If you are looking for that it will work for you. If you are looking for mind blowing power increase, it isn't for you.
There are other stacks that will give you more power overall, but I think that the Smarty probably has the most low end fueling.
I am sure others will chime in.

·
TDG Mafia 36
591 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I am also looking for something to stack with. Just want some more power on the top end...

·
Registered
93 Posts
ya i am considering a smaty also but was curious on if anyone had staked it with a comp yet...what other stack are better for top end then?

B

·
0 Posts
Smarty, straight TST box, 125+ injectors, aftermarket turbo, and a aftermarket cam. That will put you between 500hp - 550hp. Add a HRVP44 and you could be close to 600hp.

The nice thing about a Smarty is it is also a scan tool, you can delete codes, and recalibrate the speedo for different size tires.

If you want all out power then a Smarty is probably not for you, but if you want nice driveable power and some of the other features then it is a great programmer.

·
TDG Mafia 36
591 Posts
So how would the smarty be stacked with an EZ, I am happy with the low end power I have, I would like more at the top end.

B

·
0 Posts
It is my understanding that the Smarty is more of a timing box like the EZ is, but a lot more agressive. You need a fueling box like a TST or equivalent to make more HP.

Bob Wagner who makes the Smarty recommends the TST, I am almost positive.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That brings up another question I have. I have been looking at the TST PowerMax3 and I am really interested but dont know if financially it is a good decision beacuse I was just goin to re-flash my comp into a drag comp...so my question is chould I stay with my comp and re-flash it into a drag comp or sell it and go with a TST?...thanks

B

·
0 Posts
I have never owned a 24v truck, but I have rode in plenty. I personally think a Drag Comp is a better box than a TST PM3. I have rode many miles in the same truck with both boxes used at different times. The Drag Comp just seemed to fuel harder and longer. The TST PM3 made this truck shutter real bad on the higher levels and fuel supply was not an issue.

·
Registered
93 Posts
alright thanks Bouncer! I was leaning towards that route beacue it was cheaper.

·
Trouble Maker
336 Posts
Bouncer said:
I have never owned a 24v truck, but I have rode in plenty. I personally think a Drag Comp is a better box than a TST PM3. I have rode many miles in the same truck with both boxes used at different times. The Drag Comp just seemed to fuel harder and longer. The TST PM3 made this truck shutter real bad on the higher levels and fuel supply was not an issue.
:splat

What is a straight pm3, or a pm3 comp?

I have a pm3 comp, and I would take it any day over an edge drag comp, it does shutter real bad on lvl 7 or higher, but I very rarely run the box on those settings.

B

·
0 Posts
MKoth said:
:splat

What is a straight pm3, or a pm3 comp?

I have a pm3 comp, and I would take it any day over an edge drag comp, it does shutter real bad on lvl 7 or higher, but I very rarely run the box on those settings.
The Edge Comp is an adjustable on the fly box that is hotter than just a non-adjustable Edge Ez. An TST PM3 is an adjustable on the fly box that is hotter than just a plain PM or PM2.

To get the best understanding I would suggest going to both the Edge & TST site.

Also if you are getting shudder on 7 or higher then you basically have 3 settings that are not even useful for you. Therefore you are not getting the max out of your truck that is available.

·
Trouble Maker
336 Posts
Bouncer said:
The Edge Comp is an adjustable on the fly box that is hotter than just a non-adjustable Edge Ez. An TST PM3 is an adjustable on the fly box that is hotter than just a plain PM or PM2.

To get the best understanding I would suggest going to both the Edge & TST site.

Also if you are getting shudder on 7 or higher then you basically have 3 settings that are not even useful for you. Therefore you are not getting the max out of your truck that is available.

i know what an edge comp is...

i asked if the truck had a straight tst pm3 or a pm3 compettion version...there is a big difference in power between the two.

as far as the shutter, the truck is perfectly usuable on higher levels, its just a little annoying for street driving.

·
3,514 Posts
bcumminsmeck said:
Not to hijack the thread, but I am also looking for something to stack with. Just want some more power on the top end...
I'm running a drag comp as well, and I don't think I would stack with anything other than smarty, and even that is a stretch. I think by stacking, you are putting a lot of demand on your vp, thats just me though. If you want high end power the FMS Redline box may be where you want to go. I think a drag comp, and then go with some big injectors and your problem will be in getting enough air. If you have the Transmission to take it, do twins or a large single and throw in some 150hp sticks and an HRVP44 I've set a truck up like that before, and it would run 12.8's all day long.

It is my understanding that smarty changes when in the RPM range fuel is delivered, and on some settings advances timing as well. The fact that it isn't telling your pump to add flow more fuel is the reason I would consider it over a redline box, if I were to stack.
Sean

·
411 Posts
Getting ready to stack a PM3 with my Smarty so I'll let ya know what I think.

I had a PM3 Comp at one time and didn't like it at all. Anything above 7 and my truck was pretty much undrivable. It fuel hard but the shutter was so bad you just couldn't use it at all. I then went to a Drag Comp and could use every level. It's delivery was much smoother. Now I sold the Drag about 6 month ago when I got my Smarty and will be using a PM3 again. :damnit :shrug: :nunu:

One thing I did love about the TST box was the remote. That dang thing is about as handy as you can get. :cool:

DB

B

·
0 Posts
MKoth said:
your right, i am stupid, I meant to say was instead of what. :damnit
I read and re-read your post several times thinking maybe I missed something.:pointlaugh No big deal, just wanted to make sure you didn'tthink I was a jerk or something.

·
Trouble Maker
336 Posts
Bouncer said:
I read and re-read your post several times thinking maybe I missed something.:pointlaugh No big deal, just wanted to make sure you didn'tthink I was a jerk or something.
No problem. :Thumbup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just wanted to add one of my friends that has a 02 dodge and pulls with it has the smarty and edge comp stacked. I went for a ride last night and wow. the truck is unbelievable. and it wasn't even turned up all the way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts