The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody post up a "how to" on smoking the tails? I mean i know you have to get some kind of black hobby paint and paintem. but Id like to know exactly what kind of paint, brand, etc. ...how many coats, and all that good stuff. because i am afraid i will end up making them too dark and wont be able to see through them. Also do is the paint shiny already or do they make a clear coat for the app too?
Thanks!!
Darin

·
2,612 Posts
Reactions: 6L strokin

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
Go to a hobby shop and buy "hobby tint", and a can of clear...

lightly scuff with steel wool, spray on even coats until desired darkness, then clear coat it.

Reactions: 6L strokin

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the local hobby shop didnt have any of the tint. will just normal clear coat work fine? how many coats did you use tank?

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also...anybody besides aaron smoke the headlights? i know you have to heat up and separate the housings on them, but what all do you paint when your doin them?

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Clear coat is not a color.. so it wont tint it.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clear coat is not a color.. so it wont tint it.
huh? i meant how many coats of the black tint did he use......and if there was any certain type of clear coat to use or just normal stuff.....

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
I don't know how many coats,...

You want to find a really good quality clear coat,...not .99cent walmart

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im getting the VHT tint at orielys....theirs be good nuff tank? LOL and it doesnt have to be for plastic or anything right, just reg clear coat?

·
always looking for more
419 Posts
Smoked factory tail lights

Here's how I did mine. I removed the tails, cleaned them off real good with soap and water. Next I lightly scuffed the lenses with steel wool to aid adhesion. Next step was to apply an adhesion promotor available in a spray can at any local auto paint shop. Apply a good coat of that, wait 3-5 minutes and then start to apply tint. I used a product called "VHT nightshades". One can is enough to do both tails and the 3rd brake light. Make sure to apply in light coats. 3 coats is pretty much the max and will look blacked out. After the nightshades was applied and dry I finished it off with 2 coats of laquer clear I bought in a spray can at NAPA. It would be a good idea to buff the finish once it is all cured too.

Here is a before and after close up of the difference between stock and smoked.

·
2,612 Posts
I will post some pics up on my tails once i get the snow plowed out of my driveway

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
each coat will add darkness, so you add to your liking.
well if i do it till i like it....prolly wont be able to see the lights anymore! LOL

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's how I did mine. I removed the tails, cleaned them off real good with soap and water. Next I lightly scuffed the lenses with steel wool to aid adhesion. Next step was to apply an adhesion promotor available in a spray can at any local auto paint shop. Apply a good coat of that, wait 3-5 minutes and then start to apply tint. I used a product called "VHT nightshades". One can is enough to do both tails and the 3rd brake light. Make sure to apply in light coats. 3 coats is pretty much the max and will look blacked out. After the nightshades was applied and dry I finished it off with 2 coats of laquer clear I bought in a spray can at NAPA. It would be a good idea to buff the finish once it is all cured too.

Here is a before and after close up of the difference between stock and smoked.

that looks good!! i wonder if it would look really tacky if i taped where the backup lens part is and didnt smoke that section....hard enough to see backing up at night with tinted windows..... you got any names for the clear coat and/or adhesion stuff? id like to buy some of that too!

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:popcorn

·
always looking for more
419 Posts
that looks good!! i wonder if it would look really tacky if i taped where the backup lens part is and didnt smoke that section....hard enough to see backing up at night with tinted windows..... you got any names for the clear coat and/or adhesion stuff? id like to buy some of that too!
Don't have any product names that I can remember. For the adhesion promoter just go to your local automotive paint supply store and tell them you want an adhesion promoter to use for applying paint to plastic. They'll know exactly what you mean and its a very common product. The laquer clear was a NAPA brand, sold off the shelf, but you could just as easily get that at the auto paint store too. Surprisingly my local store didn't have the nightshades or any other tint. I ordered 2 cans of it off ebay for $12 each.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts

·
2,612 Posts
Here are some pics of my tails, the camera made them alittle lighter than they are. I also did my side marker lights on my mirrors with the same stuff VHT Nightshade. 2 coats. I will get some better pics when i wash my truck, its covered in salt and sand from the road.

Attachments

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gottem done! they look awesome!! ya im plannin on doing my clear recon mirrors with a little nightshade too...should look good with the new smoked cablights i got for xmas!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts