The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, got one for ya.

My 02' PSD 7.3 smokes like an SOB. Whiteish smoke galore upon startup for at least 10 minutes. Then once the truck is warmed up it clears up.

Any thoughts? Is it glow plugs or do I have an injector going out.

Thanks guys

Matty

·
1,921 Posts
sounds like something with the glow plug system. Could be a glow plug relay or a few glow plugs themselves.

·
Cummins
52 Posts
my truck does the same thing, so does our 2000 at work.......... If it was gloplugs the truck wouldn't start for crap, and mine fires right up.... My 2000 I had didn't smoke at all on start up but it wouldn't start for crap when it was cold, so take it for whats its worth but i don't see anything wrong with it.....

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
White smoke at startup is caused by low combustion temps. Look at glow plug relay, harnesses and Gp's first. It's like you see all winter long out of anything with a tailpipe thats run cold. White smoke when warm is also low temps but the cause is usually combustion chamber leakage like coolant from a blown head/gasket.

·
1,921 Posts
Derag2 said:
If it was gloplugs the truck wouldn't start for crap, and mine fires right up....
If only a couple are bad it can start OK but those cylenders that have bad plugs might not fire real well causing the smoke.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just wonderin but is your motor oil low at all? I wouldn't think it would be an injector seal going bad. Does the smoke smell sweet at all? It's obviously a leak in the head gasket if you smell any sweetness. Usually a few bad glow plugs would not cause your truck to smoke for 10 minutes. Your truck should be at operating temp. within a few minutes or so, unless you live in maine or some else really cold. I think it would have to be something residual. Something taking alittle bit of time to burn off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It could be bad fuel in the cylinder.:Thumbup:

·
strokenasty
49 Posts
mine smokes to on cold days and goes away after about maybe 5-7 minutes depending on temp. i wouldnt worry about it. my opinion.:HappyMugs

·
Registered
61 Posts
Another possibility might be that the injector o-rings have lost their seal and are leaking into the combustion chamber. Once it warms up the o-rings expand and seal properly, so the smoke goes away. Just another possibility...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts