The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah, title says it all. recently had to replace the starter. symptom - turn key, starter would click (as it throws out the bendix) but would not engage and run. did the whack-a-mole thing, barred the engine over some, batteries good, but no-go on starter.

so i buy a new one (good-bye 200 clams :pointlaugh ) about 3 weeks ago. all is well.

this weekend - SAME THING AS BEFORE!!!! :damnit

symptoms - exact same thing. how?? why?? what gives?? i only got about 20 starts on this starter and now this. i think i would've noticed if the starter stayed engaged or something.

so what could be wrong w/ this starter?? it couldn't be bad ground, could it??

sheesh, this truck is really starting to be burdensome...

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
As for frying them you might be too much amps
or they could be defective starters,OR you might not be giving it enough amps and the slow cranking is whats killing it.. ( I think its amps) :sofa

I dont like napa parts... for a starter I would go to cold air distributors ( if you have one) or bennett.. Please dont tell me you went to autozone or advanced auto

·
126 Posts
check the battery cables"?

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
I get them mixed up :damnit

I know one of them will I cant remember I do know if you have crappy batterys it will give it a slower crank and that over time will kill it

Either way that starter should have a warranty

·
1,465 Posts
If it's clicking like that the contacts are burning out. You can try replacing the contacts with bigger ones:

http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/

I've bought contacts from them before and that fixed me up. Last time I just bought a new starter from these guys:

http://www.dbelectrical.com/

It is awesome.....I've never had my truck crank over better. They have a eBay store and I bought it through there for under $200 and it's a brand new one no rebuilt crap and no core charge either....I liked it so much I bought 2 gas starters...one for my Duster and one spare for the Duster or my wife's Durango since they use the same one.

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, i DID buy a starter from Advance :pointlaugh , BUT it was a NEW starter - not a reman and no core required. i figured i couldn't go wrong.:damnit

as for cables - i dunno. the only thing i actually did was just swap the new for the old starter and it went from no-start to great-start. so everything seemed fine.

are the contacts hard to replace? why would they be bad on a new starter??

like i said, to me it doesn't add up. i thought about taking it back to advance, but i can just imagine them putting it on their stoopid machine and it being fine.

i guess that's my best first option tho?

any other guesses???????:sofa

·
1,465 Posts
Well are the cables in good shape? How are the battery terminals? Any Corrosion? The contacts are easy to change...they are behind the little square cover on the starter.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Take off all your batt cables and clean them well if you have the clamp style take them apart. Also check the cables It's called a voltage drop and will pin piont where the problem is! Also load test the batteries, any auto parts store has the test equipment just call around! The tests will show where the problem is no guessing involved!

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
after reading the Q&A on the fostertruck site about the contactors and so forth, i think i'll pull the starter out and check out the contactors. if they are burned up, then i must have some battery problems; possibly low current??

i'm starting to think that a total [underhood] rewire will be the best thing for this truck - get rid of most things, simplify the rest. :sly:

anyone use that Solenoid Saver Diode - does it work??

·
126 Posts
Dont just change 1 change em both.

·
1,465 Posts
mudguppy said:
anyone use that Solenoid Saver Diode - does it work??
I haven't got one yet.....I have been waiting to order some other stuff from them and I'll get it then. I know two guys that have them on their trucks but thatnkfully they have never been used that we know of but it can't hurt with the cost of the shut down solenoid.

·
Tebow-in'...
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update: Fixed.

well, it wasn't the starter, batteries, or cables (almost). i checked everything out when i replaced the starter before and all seemed well. but w/ the poking from here, i gave a more thorough check. batteries were good and cables were fine except for one "questionable" terminal end connection. upon closer inspection, this connection sucked.

so i replaced cables and some connections and she spun right over on only 1 battery. then fixed the rest of the cables and have both batts again.

so, this means that maybe my starter never actually went bad before. :pointlaugh so now i have a spare. :poke:

but, not all is wasted - i think the super contacts and the solenoid saver are still worth doing. and i got a more in-depth look at the starting/run system so i can more simply and reliably rewire this set-up. :sly:

i greatly appreciate the input from all. :Thumbup:

·
126 Posts
Glad U got it fixed.We had a Caddy towed in with a "bad starter". Thank god it was only GM's doubble stacked terminals with corrosion in between because the starter is under the intake!!:Thumbup:

·
1,836 Posts
There is a tool called a 'battery terminal shaper' that will fit the automotive style terminals for a very low voltage drop.
Next is the mount dirty? The electricity needs to go through this joint so clean paint and rust and put a light coat of grease. Yes, I know there are millions out there without it, but the path through the bolt is probably corroded.
Clean the engine end of the ground battery cable - both sides, and put grease on the shiny connection to keep it that way.

The solinoid comes apart and the terminal can be brushed up and shaped.
If it does not work when you put it back to gather - the starter is broken. In the assembly a wire was left in a position to touch a moving part and it wore through. If you take it apart the warranty is gone but if they turn it back, the wire can be moved, and most of the time they go back to work.

keydl

·
1,836 Posts
There i

keydl

1 - 18 of 18 Posts