The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the do's and dont's with tuners?

I followed the directions with the edge evo, but I could've made a misstake in all the excitment.:thumbsup

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,744 Posts
ensure the keys are not in the ignition when putting in chips or taking them out. I always disconnect my batteries also.

·
git-r-done
457 Posts
Call edge and they will hook u up with a new tuner that will load the files completely. My friend did this a week ago.
Let me guess,, it will only flash the glow plug light and will crank but wont start.
We changed PCMs temporarily to get the truck home.

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Call edge and they will hook u up with a new tuner that will load the files completely. My friend did this a week ago.
Let me guess,, it will only flash the glow plug light and will crank but wont start.
We changed PCMs temporarily to get the truck home.

You sir are 100% correct. I had to do the pcm change also.:salute

·
Truck pullin' S.O.B.
162 Posts
What causes this we went through this a couple of years w/ my dads 97. Edge sent us something I can't remember if it was a new pcm or the evo. But my dad never reinstalled the evo. Edge said it was because of the location of the pcm and the length of the harness and that the older pcms didn't like switching between tunes. I have the Evo (same one) in my 03 7.3L now and I haven't had any trouble but I don't switch tunes all that much I went from stock- tow- race then back to tow since I installed it in oct 08. Now after reading this I'm afraid to switch for fear the truck will be down and I use it for work but I really miss the power on race.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
It is usually always a voltage problem, especially on the 94-07 vintage. Edge will send you a stock writer according to the catch codes on the computer. It will simply restore a stock program into the vehicle. If you have a battery booster pack. Hook it up to the batteries while programming. This will usually take care of any voltage problems. If Edge hasn't sent you a stock writer yet, let me know I've got most of them. As far as changing programs, change as much as you like, just be sure to have good voltage.

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What causes this we went through this a couple of years w/ my dads 97. Edge sent us something I can't remember if it was a new pcm or the evo. But my dad never reinstalled the evo. Edge said it was because of the location of the pcm and the length of the harness and that the older pcms didn't like switching between tunes. I have the Evo (same one) in my 03 7.3L now and I haven't had any trouble but I don't switch tunes all that much I went from stock- tow- race then back to tow since I installed it in oct 08. Now after reading this I'm afraid to switch for fear the truck will be down and I use it for work but I really miss the power on race.
I haven't hooked up the edge either kind of scared.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts