·
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Again, not looking good for Dodge

0 compression on the #4

·
Registered
422 Posts
man it sure sounds like you got a lemon. a ripe one too.

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
:pointlaugh don't you wish you still had the stroker :poke:

·
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kip said:
:pointlaugh don't you wish you still had the stroker :poke:
I sure do. Live and learn. I'm now officially stuck with this truck I don't believe I'll ever get out of it, close to what I've put in it so I have to keep it

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
that sucks man have you found out how much its gonna cost ya?

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Sad to hear that... I've got a buddy with a 1992 Dodge Cummins with over 600K+ miles!

Orignal engine and 22 MPG on average...:Thumbup:

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
Bouncer said:
What are the reasons for the new engines?
cummins= new engine every 5 years LOL LOL LOL
:poke:

B

·
0 Posts
kip said:
Guess someone forgot to tell my truck. Heck it should have been on it's 3rd now according to your formula. :shrug:

·
3,514 Posts
kip said:
Funny how I've had to replace the engine in my ford, but both cummins that I've owned have long out lived that thing.

blkspd- Sorry to hear that man, that really sucks. Is there bottom end damage, or are the rings just shot? Seems like a set of rings and pistons would probably do the trick for ya, but its impossible to say from here.
Sean

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
Man I was just messin with you guys :shrug: :sofa

·
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sstockton said:
Funny how I've had to replace the engine in my ford, but both cummins that I've owned have long out lived that thing.

blkspd- Sorry to hear that man, that really sucks. Is there bottom end damage, or are the rings just shot? Seems like a set of rings and pistons would probably do the trick for ya, but its impossible to say from here.
Sean
So far just the #4 is melted/has a whole in it. I'm guessing a rebuilt short block would do. Sucks really.

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Whats it going to cost you?

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Man sorry to hear about your engine, I hate to hear that from anyone. No matter what brand they drive. Bad injector? Has anyone come up with what caused the failure? Hope you can get it back on the road and keep in running, really sucks man.

Tony

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Not to sound like a A__hole...

But now lets look back at this... What cause that piston to melt? Was it owner/operator error, gauges malifunction (or not present at all).

There is a reason why this hasppen then if we all knew this maybe it won't happen again to you...

F

·
0 Posts
I agree, rebuilt short block will get it running, but may not have solved the real problem.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
kip said:
Man I was just messin with you guys :shrug: :sofa
PSD owners dog Cummins to Bouncer and Sean all the time. They are simply defending their ownership that so often gets attacked. Not to mention Bouncer probably knows more about the engine, that he doesn't prefer, more than most of PSD owners. And Sean owns like 2 PSD's.

It's a natural defense mechanism, you triggered it.

·
3,514 Posts
I'm just playin around back with ya. In all honesty, it can happen to any brand truck to anyone. I've had good luck with cummins, but that doesn't mean the next one won't be perfect. They all give you little issues here and there. I only own 1psd, but my brother also has one, so I'm semi familiar with them.

So no hard feelings, I was just turning the tables with my experience.
Sean

·
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mopar1973Man said:
Not to sound like a A__hole...

But now lets look back at this... What cause that piston to melt? Was it owner/operator error, gauges malifunction (or not present at all).

There is a reason why this hasppen then if we all knew this maybe it won't happen again to you...
All of your posts reflect on guages, There is not a guage that will tell you when a fuel injector is going faulty or when a nozzle pops off. I could run a pyrometer on each individual cylinder but that is rediculous to do on a pretty much stock truck. There is no driver error on my part injector went. I drove to the safest place to pull my truck and trailer over and got the truck towed in. Did some diagnosing, took it to a diesel place and let them further more diagnose the problem and here we sit. If you know a way to prevent and/or project injector failure I'm all ears "Not to sound like an A-hole"

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
blackpsd said:
All of your posts reflect on guages, There is not a guage that will tell you when a fuel injector is going faulty or when a nozzle pops off. I could run a pyrometer on each individual cylinder but that is rediculous to do on a pretty much stock truck. There is no driver error on my part injector went. I drove to the safest place to pull my truck and trailer over and got the truck towed in. Did some diagnosing, took it to a diesel place and let them further more diagnose the problem and here we sit. If you know a way to prevent and/or project injector failure I'm all ears "Not to sound like an A-hole"
Hmmm... I was think simple... I was think that a injector had failed... It so rare that I heard about injectors failing on a 2nd Gen 24V...

The most common reason I heard for burning a piston is...

No Pyrometer
Pyrometer installed after turbo
Driver was paying attention to his pyrometer.
Got debris in the oil filter and plug the cooling jet.

And a few more...

So I was thinking along the common line not un-common... Sorry bud...:shrug:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts