The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build a manual, hot rod, 24V truck. What would better to start with? Also what year would be the best? I'd probably just do the basic intake and exhaust stuff with a drag comp box. What would be a good streetable clutch?

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
A 12v with a built auto with some sticks, turbo, timing, and ground fuel plate. LOL LOL

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
well, SO's tend to take better to performance parts so I'd be looking for one of those. Any years are fine, but in the 99-00 model years Cummins used a block that had a weak water-jacket casting around the driver's side firewall, about 5% of all the blocks that have it develop cracks, and not all trucks came with that block. you can tell because it has 53 cast into the block, it's called a code 53 block. I wouldn't be that worried, but just be aware of it.

look at Valair, they make a pretty good clutch, and they're not too expensive either

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
Well if he changes from a HO pump to a HR pump then he wont have to worry how the HO pump respondes to electronics...but either way you wont get much electronics out of a HR pump...Eventually I want to take on 01 or 02 SO rip out the auto, and put a 6 speed in it, that will be an awsome truck. South Bend also makes a good clutch.

Nathaniel

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I'm pretty sure its RWHP. South Bend makes very good clutches (basically the raining champ for clutches) and rates them conservatively. ValAir seems to be a growing contender.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
MMor101 said:
Were there any SO with 6spd?

Yeap they are rare and you're actually suppose to avoid them. Synchronizer problems and a weak input shaft plagued what little of these existed.

Sounds like you are hell bent on a Manual. If you are wanting to hot rod and race your truck you are going to want a automatic.

·
99 cummins
160 Posts
i agree with your need for a manual. A built auto may me able to outshift me, but there's nothing like grabbing gears! Before i had my diesel, i used to drag race my 78 chevy 4x4 1-ton in the dirt drags with a sm465 4-speed. After jamming gears with one of those, the 5-speed in the dodge is a lot more user friendly. Almost all the guys i raced had automatics so that goes to show my point, if you can drive a stick well, i dont think an automatic is that much advantage

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
I want a 6 speed for pulling, but I really enjoy puting it in D and going w/ it espicially in slow or stop and go crap...I get tired of shifting after a while.

Nathaniel

·
Registered
293 Posts
MMor101 said:
SO or HO?

Dunno about where you live, but in most places, you can get arrested for spending money on a ho.............

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Phily 911 said:
Yeap they are rare and you're actually suppose to avoid them. Synchronizer problems and a weak input shaft plagued what little of these existed.

Sounds like you are hell bent on a Manual. If you are wanting to hot rod and race your truck you are going to want a automatic.

I think the input shaft is the same size as the one on the five speeds, the flywheel is also the same size.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
cajuncummins said:
also, didn't they quit making parts for the six-speed?

Ya. I'm going to keep up on the oil changes with mine. Because if something happens. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
you can find them...would it be hard? well yea...have to settle for used, but oh well do whatcha gotta do!

Nathaniel

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
cajuncummins said:
swap in a 5-speed

HCCUMMINSSMOKE said:
you can find them...would it be hard? well yea...have to settle for used, but oh well do whatcha gotta do!

Nathaniel
If it goes out I'm going to put a 48RE or a Allison 1000 in.

cajuncummins said:
why would they quit makin parts? they're still on the road and they're pretty new so i don't get it
Beats me. I think they even put them in Medium Duty trucks as well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts