The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on a 7.3 PSD? :thumbsup:thumbdown

·
928 Posts
I know everyone's going to say "Save your money for a DP Tuner" but I'm considering the Edge Evo as well. Any real life experience with this unit would be appreciated. :D

·
812 Posts
i had one and it ran great, but i bought it before i knew anything about a psd. use the money to buy a real chip like a wildman or swamps.

·
928 Posts
My attraction to a product like an Edge is I can get some performance and gauge capabilities. A chip + gauges is expensive. :(

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
i had one and it ran great, but i bought it before i knew anything about a psd. use the money to buy a real chip like a wildman or swamps.
Or one from Matt Robinson.

I've had Matt's tuning and Tony's tuning. They're both excellent. I prefer Matt's just slightly.

Haven't tried Swamps, but I'd like to.

There is one that I would stay away from though.

·
928 Posts

·
79 Posts
I have ran bother versions of the edge evo on my truck. Felt like it made good power and ran well. I have a dp tuner now and the main thing i like better about it, is how it controls the tranny. I know the edge offers changing shift points and line pressure but it doesn't compare to a custom burnt chip. Normal everyday driving and towing, I would runt he edge again, but if you wanna play with your truck and do some wide open throttle runs and stuff, I would go with a custom chip. The edge felt like it let my tranny slip way to much on wide open throttle shifting. Hope that helps some.

·
622 Posts
I have had one, it is alright never really had any problems with it but i do get better performance from my chip and i dont have to go through a 10 min. evolution of trying to change programs.

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Website or phone number please.:rock

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Or one from Matt Robinson.

I've had Matt's tuning and Tony's tuning. They're both excellent. I prefer Matt's just slightly.

Haven't tried Swamps, but I'd like to.

There is one that I would stay away from though.

Can you share the address prudy please?

·
Truck pullin' S.O.B.
162 Posts
I have a edge evolution in my 03 7.3L. It runs pretty good right now its set on tow but I was on race and now I miss the power. I don't have a pyro intalled yet but I don't run it very hard. It doesn't smoke at all on tow and not a real lot on race which is nice but like I said I miss the power its like driving w/ the brake on with it set on tow compared to race.

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a edge evolution in my 03 7.3L. It runs pretty good right now its set on tow but I was on race and now I miss the power. I don't have a pyro intalled yet but I don't run it very hard. It doesn't smoke at all on tow and not a real lot on race which is nice but like I said I miss the power its like driving w/ the brake on with it set on tow compared to race.

I have one coming tomorrow, for my 95.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Real life experience

I might be the only dark horse here, but I have real life experience with the Edge Evo programmer. I had Bill Cohron of Power Hungry Performance custom tune his Evo version called the Gryphon programmer and he has the rights from Edge Products and the ability to custom tune it. I have a 40hp tow program, a 75 hp fuel sipper program, and a 100hp performance program. Bill wanted to know my basic truck info, truck add on's, performance upgrades, etc. and I have used all 3 programs and I like the 40hp tow and the 100 hp settings. I told him the 75 hp fuel sipper program i did not like and he is updating it to a more agressive 80hp all around performance/fuel economy program. Unlike the Edge Evo which only gives you their tunes, Bill can give you same custom tunes and can help you with updates via internet downloads. I know if you have the Edge Evo now, you can send the unit to him and he can redo programmer to his and allow custom tuning. I don't have any need to be able to switch programs on the fly and I am plenty happy with my programmer. My two experiences with this programmer have been impressing to me as well as a diesel drag racer! I'm camping this week and we just arrived at our campground and I got to try out the 40hp tow program towing our fifth wheel camper. I drove 220 miles in southern Indiana which is hilly and averaged 12.1 mpg towing right about 9000 lbs. Power was incredible and transmission shifted perfectly. Recently I took truck down to Scheid Diesel in Terre Haute, IN to have a ATS compressor housing installed to cure the surge problem while towing and for them to do a maintenance inspection on engine. Bo who drives their diesel dragster did the work on truck. After install he took truck on highway for road test and he gave me a pretty nice compliment! I had programmer programmed in the 100hp setting and Bo said that he has driven alot of customer trucks, mostly Cummins powered Dodges, a few Ford 7.3's, and Duramax's, but said my 7.3 powerstroke, thoroughly impressed him with the power, acceleration, transmission shifting for being a basically stock truck. He said it would run right up their with anything Cummins powered! I feel that I have the goods as far as this programmer is concerned.

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,744 Posts

·
928 Posts
I finally got my Edge Evo installed.

I like it! :thumbsup

I'm kinda in love with the race setting. Extreme is more than I want/need. I will let you know how tow works this weekend when I hook up to the 7000# TT.

:usflag

·
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I like mine, good luck with your's.

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,744 Posts
Linky broken.
my bad for the "-" www.dp-tuner.com is all i have used, I have no experience with the Custom edge tuners. But the canned edge tunes i have seen kill trannies in fords dodges and i know one the killed the "all powerful allison" in the 100hp settings.

Custom tunes are the way to go for performance and milage.

·
Mafia Member #93
695 Posts
all im gonna say is i the race setting on the evo was just a tad less powerful than my 40 tow program on the custom chip... and the extreme was just a about the same as my 80 economy setting on the chip.... if you like less power, you get what you pay for

swamps, Tony, PHP, Cale at BTS, or Matt.... call them....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts