The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im pretty new to the diesel world im looking into buying my first diesel ive grown up around nothing but dodges but seeing all these error code questions and injector pump issues being talked about makes me a little nervouse what is some good truck shopping advice what should I look for and the rite questions to ask? thanks guys

·
Registered
284 Posts
Get a manual is the only thing I can recommend...the auto trannys have had a lot of problems...

·
1,055 Posts
Depends what you want to do. The autos are a little to upgrade, but if you are going to race it auto is the way to go. Really the biggest problem is the lift pumps go bad, if they are not caught early enough they can take out the I/P. Get a gauge and check your f/p, it will give you a little to go on. If you have the money get an '03 or up. Less problems, but if you are going to give it way more power then the factory you are going to break things, I can gurrenty that.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
6cummins said:
im pretty new to the diesel world im looking into buying my first diesel ive grown up around nothing but dodges but seeing all these error code questions and injector pump issues being talked about makes me a little nervouse what is some good truck shopping advice what should I look for and the rite questions to ask? thanks guys
Alot of the error codes that get discussed are from us tinkering around with our trucks. The injection pump issues are still there but takin care right can still last along time. Both of my trucks still have the original injection pumps (1 is bad). But both trucks have over 200,000 thousand on the clock. A local had to replace his injection pump after 350,000 Miles and then another one at 700,000 miles. That's the only thing he's ever done to the engine. Take that as you will

199eightcummins said:
Get a manual is the only thing I can recommend...the auto trannys have had a lot of problems...
Well that depends on what he wants out of the truck. The autos do have all kinds of issues in stock form. But it's hard to beat a built automatic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not planning on racing it id probablly do the typical mods but i dont plan on getting to deep into it. what is the time frame in which the lift pumps start to go [truck milage]? just so i know thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
pretty early, like 75kish? It's a pretty good measure to change it with a better one that won't fail, then I'd get a guage and moniter it to see how the i/p is doing, but it's probably ok, just being safe.

oh, and there's no "not getting too deep into it" once you start you just can;t stop

·
Registered
284 Posts
Phily 911 Well that depends on what he wants out of the truck. The autos do have all kinds of issues in stock form. But it's hard to beat a built automatic.[/QUOTE said:
Ya but the cost of those built autos are just to much for most guys like me...thats why I said that

·
Registered
284 Posts
Where are you buyin your built autos at? And a $1500 clutch!? Valairs are like $500

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I don't know, but that's the quotes I've heard from people who are considering building htem, guess I'm an idiot, didn't think of Valair, I was thinkin bigger name than that

·
Registered
284 Posts
cajuncummins said:
I don't know, but that's the quotes I've heard from people who are considering building htem, guess I'm an idiot, didn't think of Valair, I was thinkin bigger name than that
I wasnt callin ya and idiot i was just kinda suprized at that price the cheapest i have heard was $4500..

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ya that was with billet shafts and what not though..

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
199eightcummins said:
Ya but the cost of those built autos are just to much for most guys like me...thats why I said that
That is true the cost of building a Auto can be pretty high. Even over $3500 but the result. Well that speaks for itself. A manual really is a better option if your not planning on drag racing or anything crazy.

I guess I'm bias towards the 47RE's. I've R&R enough of them. It really gets kind of addicting though when you start learning what makes them tick. AND what makes them DIE! LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cajuncummins said:
pretty early, like 75kish? It's a pretty good measure to change it with a better one that won't fail, then I'd get a guage and moniter it to see how the i/p is doing, but it's probably ok, just being safe.

oh, and there's no "not getting too deep into it" once you start you just can;t stop
I hear ya on that ive got a 2001 ws6 trans am that I wasnt planning on getting to deep on now ive got every bolt on then some.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
6cummins said:
In my eyes...

Fuel pump - Must be in good working order (10-15 PSI)
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002 Dodge/Tips & Tricks/lift pump/lift pump.htm <- Fuel pump specs and testing.

Fuel lubricant - Todays ULSD is very low in lubricity...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002 Dodge/Tips & Tricks/2 cycle oil/2_cycle_oil.htm <- 2 cycle oil information

Gauges - Are a requirement to watch for potential problems... (In Signature)
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002 Dodge/BOMBS/dipricol gages/dipricol_gages.htm

Error Codes - Failure is always going to happen sooner or later so it good to have a good code reader to diagnose problems...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002 Dodge/BOMBS/scangauge2/scangauge2.htm <- Code Reader
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002 Dodge/Tips & Tricks/error codes/error_codes.htm <- Poor man's method and error codes

·
Registered
8 Posts
The injection pumps are very touchy. I have changed them, and they didnt even make it off the parking lot beofre the pump went bad. Its just a draw of luck. High po chips usually make them go bad faster for some reason.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts