The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well first off I would like to say sorry for posting this. As you guys have probably answered these questions a thousand times. Anyway, I am in the market for diesel truck. And I am really leaning towards a Dodge, and the ones in my price range are looking like a 24 valve. I have read about the 53 blocks but I do have one question, around what milage do they seem to crack? But from what I have read, on the milage I will probably buy a truck at (1ox,xxx) at if it isnt cracked yet it probably wont.

And on the lift pump situation, if I do buy one that would be the first thing I would do is replace the lift pump with a FASS direct replacement pump. But anyway, is there any good way to test the lift pump before I purchase the truck? I just want to make sure its good when I buy it and hurry up and get it ordered.

Thanks In Advance,
Chris

·
3,514 Posts
There is a schrader on the side of the injection pump inlet that can be used to check lift pump pressure at the VP which is where it is important.

As for the 53blocks, Far more of them don't crack than do. It always seemed like the ones that you would hear about happened outside of the 100,000mile warranty range. And I would say that if it had more than about 150k on it, it would probably be safe, but that isn't a guarantee. Honestly, the likely hood of having it happen is pretty rare. And I have even seen a 55block crack in the exact same manner.
Sean

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sean. On that schrader valve so I could just hook up a pressure gauge there just to see what it is? And where could I find a picture of it, just to make sure Im looking at the same thing when Im looking at a truck.
Thanks,
Chris

·
3,533 Posts
They use this same engine in Freightliners and have no lift pumps after the first 15 seconds. Just a thought!

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? Then do they have problems with the injector pumps going out then? Im just trying to do all the research I can, because with my luck as soon as I would buy it both pumps would go out lol.
Thanks,
Chris
Oh and btw the reason I asked for pictures, if anyone can, is because I couldnt see the pics in the sticky up above

·
3,533 Posts
Yes they do but that is not from the lack of a lift pump, Cummins has used a similar fuel transfer pump in the VP 44 in all their class eights for years.
I worked on them and have taken them apart it is just a very week component in an otherwise great engine.
I have worked on those things for years and the 5.9 with a P7100 pump is a great engine, I bought a new truck in August of 2007, I bought a Duramax. Freightliner used the 6.7 for 2 years before Dodge got it and I was not impressed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts