The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Men, I am serously considering purchasing a spartan tuner from Dirty Diesel tomorrow. I have answered some of my questions by reading several threads about this tuner. I understand that it tunes your tranny as well, and there is minimal chance of failure. Also it is the best tuning available for the 6.4. The only thing that i am wondering is about the driveability. I like the way stock feels, smoothness and even power throughout the pedal. My biggest question is how does it "feel", is it smooth through out the powerband like stock, but obvously with more power? Or is there a spot on the pedal where it really pulls? I have tried the diablo sport and it sucks... Dead for the first 25% of the pedal then really kicks in. Don't like that feeling. ( I purchased this before hearing about the spartan here. ) Anyways, looking for some insight as to what to expect, you guys all seem to be so knowlageable about the 6.4.
Thanks in advance.

·
Spartan, True Performance
411 Posts
You won't have any problems with any of the Spartan tunes. If you do get the 250, or 275 expect them to shift hard. They are race tunes and you don't want the transmission to slip!!! The power is smooth at all levels. The other tunes shifts are kinda like stock. Power is awesome and I don;t think you can find a better instrument that the DashDaq to monitor your truck with. Just make sure you update the DashDaq to the newest firmware before you load your tunes. More than likely you will need to do it anyway since the Ford drivers are usually not installed when it's shipped from DrewTech. If you need any help at all, just call. Sending you a pm.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
Shaune. I'll be up in Edmonton next week if I can get home to pick up my fifth wheel. I've got the 75, 150, 210, 250 and 275. I'd be happy to take you out for a rip. pm me and we can line something up.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
Get Spartan! you wont regret it. If you want a pretty smooth ride then you can just get the 210 tune and it will shift firm but not uncomfortably hard. Huge power, better mileage and to much fun. Dirty diesel will treat you right. Mick is the man when it comes to Spartan. He's helped tons of people figure the tuner out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
.......My biggest question is how does it "feel", is it smooth through out the powerband like stock, but obvously with more power? Or is there a spot on the pedal where it really pulls?
You will like 2000rpm holeshots in 4wd. It pulls hard from 0-45 then the converter locks up hard, then hang on, it pulls almost as hard from 60mph to 100mph as it does from 0-40mph. It surprises most anybody that I take for a ride.

I recently had a long time racing buddy with me and I launched him on a freeway ramp. He was very impressed with 0-40mph and then he said it felt as if it was starting to let up a bit as we hit the higher MPH's... in reality he soon found out that the little lull from 40mph-55mph was the calm before the storm as the converter locked up hard.. he simply said.. "oh *****" right about 85mph and then asked me to let off of it around 120mph.

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awsome! I think that I am going for it! I appreciate all the input, makes me feel better justifing spending the $$$ I will let you Know how it goes.
Shaune.

·
35 Posts
The 210 is very smooth if you need to just cruise around but still has firm enough shifts that you know the tranny is not slipping. I found the the 275 a little hard to drive easy(could be the 8 million pot holes here) but the power is great.

·
1,077 Posts
Shaune. I'll be up in Edmonton next week if I can get home to pick up my fifth wheel. I've got the 75, 150, 210, 250 and 275. I'd be happy to take you out for a rip. pm me and we can line something up.
When did you get the 275 Chris? What do ya think?

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, did it..... Got the dd and the 275, 210, 75, and stock w/ dpf delete. Tunes are supposed to be here sometime tomorrow... Rob from Dirty put a rush on them for me as I am planning to leave for the mountains on Weds. DD is reall cool though.... Just need the tunes! I think that I will start with the 210?? Because I am heading out pulling to the mountains right away and see how the truck likes it and once I get back I will load the 275 and drive that one empty... What do you guys think? I will be pulling about 8k. Thanks,
Shaune

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
When did you get the 275 Chris? What do ya think?
I dont know yet. Im still in rainbow lake. Should be getting out of here on wednesday. Then home to get the truck, back to the 'chuck for the trailer. Then home. I'll be pulling the trailer stock to check out Ford's workmanship:thumbsup

·
773 Posts
Well, did it..... Got the dd and the 275, 210, 75, and stock w/ dpf delete. Tunes are supposed to be here sometime tomorrow... Rob from Dirty put a rush on them for me as I am planning to leave for the mountains on Weds. DD is reall cool though.... Just need the tunes! I think that I will start with the 210?? Because I am heading out pulling to the mountains right away and see how the truck likes it and once I get back I will load the 275 and drive that one empty... What do you guys think? I will be pulling about 8k. Thanks,
Shaune
Where are you heading? I'm going to Valemount wednesday, then Revy for the 4th,5th,and 6th. I have been thinking about getting Spartan set up and would like to experiance it before purchase if possible

Rene

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
Shaune
Congrats, sounds like were gonna have another satisfied spartan tuned superduty around. :thumbsup

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
Where are you heading? I'm going to Valemount wednesday, then Revy for the 4th,5th,and 6th. I have been thinking about getting Spartan set up and would like to experiance it before purchase if possible

Rene
I might be in that area around those dates.... Pm Sent

·
181 Posts
Thanks Shaune tunes were just emailed to you.
I will be in Forester (Radium) riding Friday April 3rd and then am thinking about heading up to Golden or Revy if the snow sucks in Golden for the weekend. I was planning on heading into the Silver mines until that guy got her last week from an Avalanche. Hollywood if you see my truck in the parking lot come say hi, I recomend heading into Turtle Mountain if you get a clear day. We were in there last week and it was Sick :happymugs

Attachments

·
125 Posts
i see a rodded out skidoo on that sled deck! :thumbsup

i want at 09 pretty bad, but cant justify unloading my 06 with only 1500 miles...

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
Dr. Smoke, How big is your Exhaust Tip?

·
Registered
238 Posts
8" tip. He is making up for something lacking I heard.:haha

·
Spartan, True Performance
411 Posts

·
181 Posts
Rene,
A freindly reminder it is Yama fest in Revy this week-end. Not a good time to head out there.
Change of plans for me I am heading up to Valemount tonight

1 - 20 of 21 Posts