The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally reassembling my truck. I just got my BDP injectors in the mail and will hopefully be getting the fuel system in the mail soon. I had planned to simply rebuild my stock turbo. But I think future upgrades will justify upgrading my turbo as well. All I can find however are stupid prices. I am no looking to go pull low 12’s on the drag strip. I just want a truck with a lot of strength and good fuel mileage. Anyway, here are my questions:

1) Does a rebuild kit for my stock turbo exist? If so, where?
2) Can I simply upgrade my stock turbo? If so, how?
3) Is it possible to buy a good upgraded turbo with out selling my first born? I am not interested in spending over $2000. I was thinking well below $600. Am I dreaming or what?
4) What should I look for in an upgraded turbo?
5) How big is too big? I do not want something that requires extensive modification.

I think that is it. I appreciate any help you all can offer. I am still learning about turbos. So any advice is welcomed.

·
Registered
790 Posts
As long as your staying stage 2 injectors or smaller a turbo upgrade is not needed. Your turbo will like you much better if you install an intercooler, it will help keep your boost levels down. Gut the EBPV and you should be good to go. I had no problems with stage 2's, 6oh ic and stock turbo as far as boost levels and egt's go.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
you could install a new housing on your turbo, they don't give much for performance but help when towing (surge) and just a lil performance if i was you i would do that and install a 6.0 IC
robert
out

·
6,337 Posts
Exhaust back pressure valve, to aid in cold warm up and makes a great exhaust brake...

About the cheapest "upgrade" turbo is a ballbuster or hi-tech. I don't know much about either but they run around $1000...

·
6,337 Posts
alldiesels said:
you could install a new housing on your turbo, they don't give much for performance but help when towing (surge) and just a lil performance if i was you i would do that and install a 6.0 IC
robert
out

Dont think you can on a OBS? Maybe an exhaust side (I think banks makes one for OBS)

·
Registered
790 Posts
since you are getting larger injectors leave the exhaust housing alone, if you go smaller you will have too high of boost and that will cause problems.

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So an Exhaust back pressure valve and a larger housing is all I need? Where can I get an Exhaust back pressure valve and do any of you have a photograph so I can get an idea of what is involved?

·
Registered
790 Posts
no just leave the stock exhaust housing on it. epbv is a little butterfly valve right before your downpipe, im not sure who would have pics of it. If you gut it, your egt's should drop 50* or so and also have a little better spool up.

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine is welded open. I meant to ask about that. Is it hard to rebiuld one a turbo. Who should I go through to get a rebiuld kit. The dealership said they can not help me on that one.

·
6,337 Posts
Yes, you dont need the valve, you could get rid of it! I like mine but...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I suggest a ATS housing, around 400$, High compression wheel, about 65$, maybe a Banks power elbo but definately remove the EBPV. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
97 Posts
ITP diesel rebuilds stock turbos for 295.00, you might try that out?

·
Registered
790 Posts
dog3434 said:
I suggest a ATS housing, around 400$, High compression wheel, about 65$, maybe a Banks power elbo but definately remove the EBPV. You won't be disappointed.
dude read his sig, he has an obs truck none of those will work.

·
Registered
388 Posts
i think if you rebuild your turbo you need to get the shaft re balanced ,to avoid any problems.....maybe someone knows more about that and can give you the scoop...

·
Registered
268 Posts
If the wheel is in good shape and no end play leave the turbo alone and run it.

When your ready to step up your options will be Hmax H2E or I might have a kit ready by then.

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is the thing. I see some where around the impellar. It looks like it has been making contact. Is that normal?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Go to ford and ask for a new turbo for youre truck

Banks six gun
S 400 turbo
ATS tranny
ATS 5 star converter
3 inch lift Factory wheels

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did. That is why I am looking into upgrades. What they want for a stock replacement, I could by an upgraded aftermarket one for less.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts