The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here it is today i was running my buddy at a stop light and when we took off my pickup went about 3ft and looped or shuddered about three times. its got 142000 on it and just a power puck is it the tranny or somthing worse. the tranns is still factory! :damnit

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
Any codes? Has it done it since then?

B

·
0 Posts
Yes, please give us some more info so we can better help you. From what you have said so far I am leaning towards the Injection Pump as Alex probably is also. Although with more info we can make a better guess.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok it has done it before but not as sever as today. tranny is original and the fuel pump was changed 30000 miles ago. no codes were thrown by a hypertech programer.

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
Do you mean 3000 miles ago? Do you have a FP gauge? Was the pump completely dead when you changed it? Did you have the throttle on the floor when it happened? Do you have any other issues like hard starting when it is warm? It sounds like the vp is getting weak possibly. Especially if the lp was dead for a while before you changed it.

·
3,514 Posts
yeah, if the lift pump was replaced 30000 miles ago, that doesn't mean a whole lot, I've seen people burn through lift pumps in under 20k. It sounds to me more like you are starving it for fuel. That will make your IP go out in a hurry. You should get a fuel pressure gauge in ASAP (If you don't already have one) that way you can see what is happening. If you are shutting down your fuel pressure under full throttle, then you will need to replace the lift pump, or switch to one that provides more fuel.
When I started hitting 5psi under full throttle, it was already too late, kind of, I didn't kill the VP but I did destroy the metering diaphram. I think you're on the lucky side and just starving the VP, but you really need a fuel pressure gauge on there, especially if you are going to run hard with your fuel turned up.
Sean

B

·
0 Posts
Also, when was the last time you changed your fuel filter? Definitely get your FP checked.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I changed my fuel filter about 2000 miles or so ago. how and were does the fuel pressure gauge hook up. and were do it get one.

B

·
0 Posts
duck said:
I changed my fuel filter about 2000 miles or so ago.
Not saying that is the cuplprit, just remember that it can plug up at anytime. I am on my 4th one in less than 10,000 miles since I got a bad tank of fuel back in January.

·
3,514 Posts
You can get a fuel pressure gauge from any of the vendors on this site, and I'm sure that they will also provide you with the necessary lines to install it. Either get an electric gauge or an isolator if you are going to mount the gauge in cab.
Stock, there is a schrader valve on the fuel line input banjo bolt into the VP44, you can hook a gauge up to this if you have the right one, any mechanic should. Check the pressure at idle and under load. underload is what you should really be concerned with, if it is going to drop that is when it is most likely. If you are getting below 5-6psi at all, you need to replace your pump.
Sean

·
Registered
48 Posts
yeah hes right my psd did that to me when they put the new fuel in the station and come to find out the fuel filter was pitch black when i pulled it out

98cummins 24v ex cab doooly4x4 5spd
custom 5inch exhaust with a 7 inch tip

1 - 11 of 11 Posts