The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright guys and gals.need help here. On one of my many trips moving my dad, my truck has started to act funny.

It sounds like a pppttfffffff noise all the time. Not at an idle. And I have NO power at all. Top sped is like 70 and it takes forever to get there. Even on a very slight hill, I put it to the floor and I'll drop to like 45 mph. There is virtually NO turbo whistle when I floor it. And my mileage SUCKS.

WHAT in the sam hell is wrong? I changed the fuel filter and that didnt help. What could it be? Turbo? Injectors going bad? There is no smoke, white, black, blue, nothing. Just the very strange sound, and loss of power.......

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Kevin

·
4,024 Posts
A very bad boost leak? Sounds like a boot tore.:shrug:

·
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner
3,705 Posts
Yep :whs Check all your boots for cuts, small holes, tears, around the boot and around the clamps. Make sure the boots are clamped over the ridges on each metal pipe too.

·
6,337 Posts
Gauges??? :poke: I would bet a blown dounut for the up pipes... Your not building boost is the biggest issue...

·
455 Posts
leaking up pipes or a stuck closed EBP ( exhaust back pressure devise) when the butterfly is closed the make a wierd wooshing kinda sound and will have no power .. the control system is know to quit working right an I have seen the linkage where it attaches to the butterfly seize ud so bad you have to beat it open with a hammer and a bar

·
Registered
274 Posts
If it is a up pipe donut you'll be able to see some soot on the firewall where its blowing out past where the donut should be.
Check it out and let us know

·
6,337 Posts
And from what I have read you have your EBPV unplugged???

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EBPV is hooked up again, and working fine. I'll check the clamps and boots later today. I'll see if I can check the up-pipes too. Someone told me before that you can use the donuts from a pair of Chevy 350 headers to replace with????????

Kevin

·
6,337 Posts
Yup that will work good... But if its been a while the bolts will be locked up in the colector and you will need one of those too..

·
455 Posts
if they are leaking at the uppipes best way to correct it is with new updated bellows style pipes they eliminate the need for donuts and allow flex for heat expansion any unit we have put these on never leak again

here are navistars up pipe bellows kits
Bellows Exhaust Service Kits for Standard Torque International T 444E Engines Model Year
Serial Number (SN) Range
Bellows Service Kit Number

1994 - 1998
Prior To SN 843990
Service kit 1843486C91

1999 - and later
843990 and up
Service kit 1837872C93

the older year kits you reuse the cast y on the back of turbo they hook to on the newer kits you get a new style one .. rarely on the old style tho do the bolts come out and you end up buying a new one

1 - 11 of 11 Posts