The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super *********
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the AFE Intake. Running with a Spartan 275 and I have been pounding on it. (Love that Turbo Whistle now) But....I think I have blown something.

There is a very audible sound coming from the right hand side above the wheel when at idle. It sounds like an air hose is leaking at about 40PSI A hissing sound that go away when the engine is shut off.

I have inspected the boots and they look OK and there is no degradation on power still lots of boost and acceleration but this HISSING has to go.

Any suggestions where to start looking

·
Super *********
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the boots from Dieselsite but do not have then installed yet. My current ones are fine and all clamps are tight?

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
Losen the clamps and see if you can give them a bit of a turn. I had one that leaked a little under hard loads and there was a small pinch in the hose in between the hose and the pipe.

·
Super *********
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When the VGT kicks in and out the Hissing starts and stops. I am starting tom think Exhaust Leak????.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
Get some super soapy water and spray it over the turbo conection when the truck is still cold. The bubbles will show you the leak.

·
2,183 Posts
let us know what you find. Hopefully its nothing major :thumbsup

·
Super *********
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great suggestion with the soappy water, Will do that Friday, and will let you kow

·
Super *********
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No Luck

Well I soaped it down and saw nothing do I hosed it down and still can't find the leak. Even took a stethoscope and poked around but all I hear is the clatter of diesel. It would seem to be coming from the back of the turbos by the firewall. When the VGT's change so does the hiss??? Which turbo has the VGT's the first smaller one only correct? There is a definite performance drop as on the way home last night had a chance to do some long WOT's and it is much slower. HELP!:bang:

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
small turbo is fixed. Large turbo is a VGT

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
check the mass air connection where it mounts into the intake it might be leaking around the screws which would cause a performance drop.

·
Super *********
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Uh Oh

I focused my attention and soap on the larger turbo and i have found the leak. There is an adjustable actuator that comes off another part in the engine bay. It is leaking where the actuator enters the turbo. on the left hand side of it(sitting in truck) Looks expensive.

I will post a picture soon

·
Super *********
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It's getting worse

Finaly had an opportunity to look whist someone was in the truck tapping the throttle. Lot's of black smoke apearing behing the Turbo from the back of a manifold looking thing. Might my the EGR perhaps. Going into the delar for a cab off inspection Fully Spatan Tuned with 275 and no DPF. Wish me luck!

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
Good luck is right.

·
Super *********
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well the dealer called and it is a blown down pipe clamp and a gasket. $ 300.00 and bere back in biz! They love the tuned truck and asked to keep it for the afternnon when it's not raining for "testing purposes"

·
139 Posts
small turbo is fixed. Large turbo is a VGT
This is actually wrong, the small is vgt and that little actuator mentioned by the op is the actuator for the vgt, Ive learned a lot dissecting my spare motor...

·
Super *********
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well all is not well. Clamps are replaced and gasket is done and now the leak persists. Anyone have a photo of Cab off Exhaust routing as the dealer doesn't and has never done a cab off (it would seem) and is quoting me 20 hours labor to complete this plus what ever parts are needed and the time to replace them

·
384 Posts
This is actually wrong, the small is vgt and that little actuator mentioned by the op is the actuator for the vgt, Ive learned a lot dissecting my spare motor...
The high pressure turbo is the one that is variable. Low pressure is not.

As for big vs. small, I had assumed everyone was referring to the "small" turbo as the low pressure one?

In this photo, it shows the actuator connected with a small arm to the high pressure turbo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts