The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a setting with the Spartan that allows you to have STOCK POWER with STOCK TRANNY SHIFTING but deletes the DPF regens?

·
1,415 Posts
Yes there is.

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
Yep, stock power, stock shifting, but you still have to get a dpf delete pipe. There are some on here running it, maybe they'll chime in.

·
393 Posts
Is there a setting with the Spartan that allows you to have STOCK POWER with STOCK TRANNY SHIFTING but deletes the DPF regens?
Yes there is, but why would you want to????

If you are going to go to all of the trouble to re-program your truck and remove the DPF, you will be tempted to use the higher horsepower tunes. If you do, you'll never go back.

I just towed my new 5th wheel from West Texas to Central Texas (Hill country) with the 250 tune. Got 11.7 mpg on the way there. The transmission never had to down-shift to pull the hills (I did not run it in Tow-Haul mode). The turbo just provided a little more boost.

On the way back I decided to try the stock tune with DPF-off, since I had never pulled a trailer in that configuration. Mileage went down to just under 9 mpg and the transmission was continually down-shifting to pull the hills, whether I was in Tow-Haul or not. At the first fuel stop I changed back to the 250 and started smiling again.

The difference in my exhaust gas temperatures towing "stock" and "tuned" were less than 150 degrees, which really surprised me. I never saw more than 1,100 degrees. What is odd though is that I had my coolant temperature "alarm" set too low on the DashDaq. Running "stock" it came on 3 or 4 times. It never came on while "tuned".

Also, I always hand-calculate my mileage and squeeze every drop of fuel into the tank so that the calculations are very accurate.

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
Dont kid yourself. You may have the best intentions of keeping it on a stock file. But as soon as you see the difference with just a delete set up. You will be "sampling" the tunes just to see what the fuss is all about. After a couple of trips around the block with a 210 or up. The only time the stock tune is in the truck is when you take it in to the dealer.

·
76 Posts
I agree totally, buy the a nice complete exhaust like the AFE down-tube back and do the complete system at once. You will think you just put a new motor in that new truck!!! I run the 275 daily and its unbelievable.

·
278 Posts
Yep I have the stock no regen. Again like most said it is not as good as the higher tunes but I use it quite a bit if the truck does something funny I set it back to stock no regen to check it out or if someone is going to use my truck it is nice to set back to stock with out having to put all the pipes back on. It is a nice feature athough I do not run it that much!!!!!

·
1,606 Posts
Sounds like a good idea, why loan your modded truck to somebody when you can just go back to stock? Not to hijack Jeremiah's thread, but, do you need to drill your exhaust manifold for a pyro with Spartan?

Reactions: Jeremiah

·
106 Posts
With the Spartan and the DPF removed, is there any noticeably "visible" evidence that something was done, such as big black smoke?
I looked at some videos on youtube and some trucks were blowing out smoke like a coal burning locomotive.
I have to go right past two sets of truck scales everyday with CHP all over the place.
So I would be in a position to be noticed by lots people that would know something was going on.

·
76 Posts
It only pours out black smoke when u get on it, go buy at normal cruising speeds and u should be fine:)

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
Visible evidence would be the absence of the DPF. On stock trucks, you barely have to look under them and see the big bulky DPF and DOC. On a deleted truck, you won't see exhaust except for the exit pipe. As for smoke, at low throttle, no smoke at all will come out. The more you push the go pedal, the more smoke comes out, but you have to get on it hard for a lot of smoke like a train.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts