The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to give credit to Jvencius for this idea. I would not have had the guts to do it if I hadn't seen what his looked like. I sprayed the chrome running boards on my F250 this weekend and I think it looks great. I plan to doing the bumpers soon. This was very easy to do.
1) removed the running boards from the truck and removed the plastic steps from the boards
2) with some 50 grit sandpaper I sanded the metal to remove nicks and to roughen the surface. Then I clean the surface with acetone and dried the metal.
3) with some Rustoleum primer I sprayed a nice even coat on the boards
4) I used Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner is a rattlecan but you could use any brand and probably use the roll on kind as well. I painted 2 coats of the bed liner on each board. It took 3 cans of the spray to get 2 good coats. It does not last as long as you would expect.
5) allow to dry for a good 24 hours and reinstall

Really easy project but makes the boards look so much better. The chrome seemed to stay dingy looking from all the scratches.

Attachments

Reactions: keydl and truckkid

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bigger pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They each just have 2 #20 torx screws holding them on. Took them off before prep and paint, then just put them back on. They are faded and I thought about painting them but I'm afraid the pain would not stick, they are rubber.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just used regular primer I bought at Auto Zone. It is rustoleum auto primer if that makes a difference. And I just used 50 grit sandpaper for metal. I bought sanding discs for my air grinder but it was late and I was afraid to getting the neighbors mad. If it fails, I think the sanding is the problem. I did not remove all of the chrome, we'll see what happens.

·
25 Posts
haha, thats funny! i have the exact same truck (same colors) and i am right in the middle of doing the same thing :thumbsup
except my bolts that hold on the bars are tottaly shot and now i have to use bolts and nuts. which i have to weld up a BIG long wrench to get the middle ones. at least now i know what it will look like and i like it! looks good.
i am going to grind off all the chrome that is on there and rough it up so the liner i am using will stick. i am doing them with herculiner as that is what i put on the bottom of my truck.

again, looks good
clarence

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clarence, post pics of your truck with the herculiner on the bottom. I want to do that also like a lot of guys on here. Does it get dirty looking? I know guys with the bed lined and the liner traps mud and looks "stained".

·
25 Posts
here are a few so far. hope they come out big. i did three coats of it and it turned out good. i really didnt notice that it stains as such. i did notice that if the truck is clean, and its parked and it rains, the rain picks up dust as it drips. when it is dry, you can see that rain stain on it. it washes off but......
i use a mini broom to brush it when i wash it. like the little shop broom a guy might have for his workbench top.
damn, i dont have any on my work computer.
here, go here and see.
clarence
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-exterior-discussion/97504-new-bumper-herculiner-install-pics.html

·
25 Posts
one other thing to for mine is i am raising the boards 2 1/2" so they tuck up a little closer. i want amp steps but i cant puke out the 1300 bucks for them just yet.
clarence

·
25 Posts
i redrilled all the holes 2 1/2" inches down from the old ones and cut off 2 1/2" off the top after i was done drilling. i dont have pics of them installed yet as i have to finish painting them first. i can put up one of the brackets though.
clarence

·
Banned
6,478 Posts
i redrilled all the holes 2 1/2" inches down from the old ones and cut off 2 1/2" off the top after i was done drilling. i dont have pics of them installed yet as i have to finish painting them first. i can put up one of the brackets though.
clarence

Hmm that sounds to easy. I plan on pulling mine off this weekend if time permits.

·
Banned
6,478 Posts
Hmm that sounds to easy. I plan on pulling mine off this weekend if time permits.

All done, Man what a difference in the looks. I think I'll leave them chrome now. It looks good right up against the black. I raised them 3". Man those plastic guards are a real stone and crap catcher. I'm glad they are gone. Ford should have put these in the position to start with.

·
25 Posts
looks good doug. i just got mine done today as well and wanted to put up pics but the wife took our only camera on holidays with her. i am still going to paint them black but have run out of time cause now i go to meet her for holidays. the inserts that the bolts go into on the board itself were all stripped out in mine. had to use new bolts and nuts.
one of these days i WILL have amp steps!:thumbsup

clarence

·
Banned
6,478 Posts
looks good doug. i just got mine done today as well and wanted to put up pics but the wife took our only camera on holidays with her. i am still going to paint them black but have run out of time cause now i go to meet her for holidays. the inserts that the bolts go into on the board itself were all stripped out in mine. had to use new bolts and nuts.
one of these days i WILL have amp steps!:thumbsup

clarence
Thanks, I bet using nuts and bolts on those tubes was fun.

·
25 Posts
yeah, i had to put the wrench in a pipe and tape it so i could reach in there with a nut and washer. the outside holes i was actually able to reach in with my hand to put them on. i know small hands would come in handy one day. :haha

clarence

1 - 19 of 19 Posts