The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Never a dull moment
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
On Saturday my truck developed a shreeking noise coming from a serp belt pully. It was only slight at first, but has gotten worse the more i drove it over the weekend. I'm fairly possitive that it's either the idler pully or the belt tensioner pully. About a year ago I replaced the the idler pully, so i am really leaning more towards teh belt tensioner pully. I looked up teh part on-line and see that i can get either just the tensioner pully or the whole tensioner assembly. Do the tensioners go bad? Should i replace the whole kit or just the pully? I'm going to replace the belt while I'm in there. Is there anything else i should check?

Thanks

·
Resident GINGER
775 Posts
I ended up replacing the Pulley on my tensioner after the bearings left, and the pulley (plastic) decided to eat the belt. Then about 4 months later i ended up replacing the entire tensioner assembly because you could see it just shaking and moving a lot during idle.

·
Never a dull moment
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I decided to go ahead and replace the tensioner assembly and the belt. Better safe than sorry. I'd hate to have to repair the carnage of what the belt tears up after letting go on the freeway.

Thanks

·
204 Posts
i had the same problem... my pullys were squeeling bad, so i thought.

so i got some new ones.... and it didnt fix the problem.

so i used my automotive stethoscope, i pulled the metal rod out of it so it was just the rubber hose on the end and waved it around the pullys to see which one was making the noise....

turned out its the AC clutch pully bearings making the sound.

so to make a long story short..... get a listening device so u can pinpoint the exact pully or part making the noise so u dont waste money like I did replacing parts that were fine.

·
Resident GINGER
775 Posts
oh it doesn't tear up that much... Just shoves little pieces of belt everywhere, and makes a mess. and it destroyes the pully and brand new belt.

·
Never a dull moment
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ouch, those pics look back. Something funny i noticed though. I've seen multiple references to teh pulley beig plastic. Mine old one is metal and so is my new one.

I am fairly possitive that my tensioner is bad. The sqealing noise was deffinetaly coming from the left side of the motor and when i took a closer look at the belt the front edge is starting to fray.

Quick question. I can't break the tensioner bolt loose. Is it a backward thread or something? I don't want to twist it to much more b/c i've already twisted my Torx a little.

·
191 Posts
Ouch, those pics look back. Something funny i noticed though. I've seen multiple references to teh pulley beig plastic. Mine old one is metal and so is my new one.

I am fairly possitive that my tensioner is bad. The sqealing noise was deffinetaly coming from the left side of the motor and when i took a closer look at the belt the front edge is starting to fray.

Quick question. I can't break the tensioner bolt loose. Is it a backward thread or something? I don't want to twist it to much more b/c i've already twisted my Torx a little.
Mine is T50 and right hand thread. The bolt in the pulley of the tensioner is left hand threads.

·
Never a dull moment
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So just so i have this correct.... the tensioner is right hand thread and teh pulley is left?

·
Resident GINGER
775 Posts
yeah, the one that was on there from the factory was plastic, but the one that i got at napa when i replaced the one that died, and the one that came with the tensioner assembly were both metal. I don't understand Ford sometimes :shrugs

·
Never a dull moment
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The tensioner bolt is trying its best to beat me, and so far it's doign a pretty good job of it. It just won't budge. I've tried steady pressure and i've tried shocking it loose by jarring the handle of the breakover bar w/ a hammer. All i've accomplished so far is ruining 2 Torx T50 drivers. One of them i sheered the teeth off it, and the other one I snapped in half. So i decided to put everything up for the night and get back on it tonight after I go buy another bolt. I'm half tempted to put a Victor Wrenchg on it to get it out. Last night i sprayed some PB Blaster on it before i closed everythign up. I hope that will do the trick becasue I'm out of ideas.

Any suggestions?

·
Never a dull moment
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I may have found a bit of good news (on-line) regarding the removal of the stubborn tensioner bolt. It seems that it bolts into the alternator bracket (not the head like I thought), and the bracket can be removed from teh truck w/ the tensioner attached to it. Working on it on a bench should be much easier. on a side not, i also found (on-line) the reason why the bolt is so stubborn. It's a steel bolt in an aluminum bracket. :thumbdown

Also, i called Ford to price a new bolt and to find availability. i was informed that the bolt IS NOT sold by itself. To get a new one i have to buy a tensioner assembly from them.... for $150!

Does anyone know what size/grade of bolt i can replace it with from teh hardware store. I'd actually like to do this so i can get rid of that torx head. I'd rathre have a socket head on it.

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts